• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie at restoration - Where do I start with this project - I have parts everywhere ! interior ? exterior ?

Bama-man

Reaction score
I just bought the car of my dreams. 1970 Barracuda Convertible 440-6 unfortunately (not) numbers matching its a 318 car originally, but I'm happy to get it especially at the price I got it for. The only problem is I got it as a partial restore it was taken apart for restoration and repainted the FE-5 Rallye Red, but its all in pieces. So I have boxes of parts everywhere in my garage. If I would have taken it apart myself I would not have much of a problem knowing where it all goes back together as it is its like putting a jigsaw puzzle back together. I sure am glad I found this site. I grew up in the 70s when these cars were all over the the place and my father was a MOPAR Mechanic so we always had Chargers, Challengers, and Barracudas in the yard so its really a dream come true to have one of my own that Dad cant sell out from under me !

budascuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, you are in the right place and in good company.
There's gonna be other folks who can help you more than me, but a shop manual, and a list (pictures) of parts you got is probably a good start.
You could write on the back of the photos, once you find out what they are and make an inventory.
Good luck.....

70chall440

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site.

Building or assembling a car isn't rocket science and there is more than one way to do it. Since I don't know what the status is right now I will just throw some things out there;

The very first thing to do is spend some quality time unpacking ALL of the boxes and figure out what you have, what you don't have, what is usable and what isn't

Generally I start with making the car a roller complete with suspension front and rear. Keep in mind that you will have to wait until the car is assembled to get the front end aligned, however you can "rough it in". I would also install the front and rear brake assemblies.

Once you have a good roller then I run all of the brake and fuel lines, also if you have a wiring harness, now is a good time to route it, you can also install the fuel tank and filler neck.

Now that you have all that, install the dash and the steering column. Note that if the windshield isn't in that a good thing, makes it much easier however remember that you MUST install the trim clips in the front and rear window channels before installing the glass because once the glass is in it is very difficult if not impossible to install the clips

At this point I would install the drive train, you don't have to put a drive shaft in it but you can if you like.

With the drive train in you can install the master cylinder (with power booster if it is a PB car) as well as the exhaust manifolds/headers. You don't need to do the fill exhaust until almost done.

You can now begin to attach all of the other sub systems (wiring, brake lines, fuel lines, etc.), you can also install the instrument cluster and connect all the interior wiring.

At this point if you haven't installed the cooling and PS system you can do that. Now you can start the car and make sure everything works, no leaks, etc. This is a good time to fix anything that needs to be fixed, rerouted, etc.

Once you have all this done you can install/assemble all of the body panels and gap them as you desire.

Once you are happy with the panel fitment you can move onto the glass, stripes, vinyl top, etc.

Now you are ready to put the carpet in, the headliner, rear speaker/s, package tray and the interior as well as the door handles, license plate mount, antenna, etc. Believe it or not, it is this part that will take the most time.

Once you have all this done, you can bleed the brakes and get it aligned and you are good.

I am sure others will have a different process but the end result is the same. Also, while this all seems relatively straightforward, it does not factor in the amount time it will take to refinish, fix and recondition all of the parts/pieces.

Hope this is helpful

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
I recommend purchasing the David Wise manuals for E-Bodies. They’re not perfect nor cheap. But, they will help you avoid spending countless hours on-line.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Glad you joined. Again, nice project!

moparleo

Reaction score
Don't make the pile of parts bigger than it is already.
ORGANIZE !!! Be realistic in your skills and time. Have the proper tools. CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN. Make sure that you have a large, clean work area that will be in use for a long lime. Buddy up with someone or someplace that has done this type of job before. You may end up paying someone to at least get you off the ground. Nothing worse than after the "blind joy" wears off, and you now realize what a fix you bought yourself into. Even the experts can take years and they have already done it before. You need to inventory exactly what you have. Keep it organized as to vehicle system. Just like your factory service Manual has the car divided into systems. Example. suspension, brakes, electrical etc... The factory did not start with a bunch of boxes of mixed up parts. They were done in sub assemblies and the installed in a logical order. Great idea with the Dave Wise books but you can't read/learn too much. As many e-body books and tech articles as you can read. You are lucky to have the internet as a source that we never had before.
Lots of labels, and plastic bags. And a lot of room to store it in.
Know that you will invest many times more than you have just spent to see it finished.
Just letting you know the facts.. Probably the reason you got to buy somebody else's dream...

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Bama
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Sounds like a really great project Cuda

Here is a link to a factory service manuals;
70 Plymouth.

I would also check out the 71 body and chassis manuals. Pretty much the same data.
The 71 body service has great visuals
and the Price is right!
https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

RJHJR

Reaction score
All this advice is just a hint of the wealth of information here.
I agree with getting organized and getting resources in order.
MMC Detroit (Dave Wise) books are worth it. Especially the Fastener Guide.
A Factory Service Manual is another must have. Exploded diagrams and sequences are invaluable.
A Parts Catalog is also invaluable for knowing what's 'correct' as much as that's possible.
When it comes time for fasteners I've found AMK Products to be a great resource.
Only thing consistent about these cars is the inconsistency so don't get wrapped around your drive shaft when information conflicts.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I usually start the other way & get the fuel & brake lines routed first Before getting the suspension in the way , then I do the rear suspension & fuel tank . I install all of the front end wiring into the engine bay while it is open . I do the insulation , pedals , heater box & dash .
The K frame I sub assemble then I mount the engine & trans with the wiring on the engine & with everything as complete as possible & roll the whole assembly under the body & install it from underneath , this means you have very little to do leaning over the fenders once the engine is in place , then I finish the front suspension & have it rolling .
The interior I finish up last .

budascuda

Reaction score
I usually start the other way & get the fuel & brake lines routed first Before getting the suspension in the way , then I do the rear suspension & fuel tank . I install all of the front end wiring into the engine bay while it is open . I do the insulation , pedals , heater box & dash .
The K frame I sub assemble then I mount the engine & trans with the wiring on the engine & with everything as complete as possible & roll the whole assembly under the body & install it from underneath , this means you have very little to do leaning over the fenders once the engine is in place , then I finish the front suspension & have it rolling .
The interior I finish up last .
That's THE right approach!
Also, short and sweet.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you know what you have, have done it before, and have everything organized. He is far from that point. Go back and read the beginning.
Reassembling something that you got in just boxes and don't really know what you have is not just a matter of "just start at the rear and..." lets be real.
Remember back the first time you tried something like that. Very daunting. Remember skill sets and experience....

budascuda

Reaction score
I am sure the gas tank, fuel and brake lines are gonna be brand new and am relatively confident that Bama_man knows where
those parts go, even if it's his first time

oh.... I remember my first time, I was 18, no experience, and didn't even know what the damn thing looked like 😘, yes it was daunting but it was fun and Bangkok was a paradise........

"Youth has slipped trough my fingers and love has left me alone"
😥😥

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Are you also sure that he has the correct parts for this application. It can be dangerous to assume things. That why you inventory what you have. Part of that is verifying that the parts are correct not just new. Unboxed new parts can be damaged .
I am not you and you are not me or anyone else. I just try to be cautious when assuming what is in someone else's head and how much they know. I have been married for 50 years and still don't know what is exactly in my wifes head. and vice versa.....

budascuda

Reaction score
Are you also sure that he has the correct parts for this application. It can be dangerous to assume things. That why you inventory what you have. Part of that is verifying that the parts are correct not just new. Unboxed new parts can be damaged .
I am not you and you are not me or anyone else. I just try to be cautious when assuming what is in someone else's head and how much they know. I have been married for 50 years and still don't know what is exactly in my wifes head. and vice versa.....
Married for 50 years? Sure she knows what's in your head, lol
Happy fiftieth aniversary Leo

Back