• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No spark on the plugs

Drmktchr

Reaction score
Helppppppppp guys, just getting my 73 Challenger 340 six pack together and I have no spark at the plugs, new ECU, new distributor, new coil, new rotor, new distributor cap, new volage regulator, new key switch, new battery, new spark plug wires. Have voltage to the ECU, to the voltage regulator, to the positive side of the coil, to the alternator. Battery is grounded to the engine and the chassis, the engine is grounded to the chassis also, the ECU is grounded. I timed the engine at 0 degreees TDC on compression. Set the electronic pickup in the distributor a 8 thousand of an inch. When I unplug the ECU I have voltage on both the negative and positive side of the coil, Voltage to the ballast resistor is good on all 4 posts. Starter engages and rolls the engine , fusible link is good. Have voltage on both sides of all fuses. The odd time I get spark but it is not consistent and the engine started once for a few seconds. Any ideas??????? Pulling my hair out in Toronto. :confused::confused::confused:

Something also have no headlights, tailights or dash lights but the horn, signal lights and brake lights work. Totally rattled and confused on this one. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

burntorange70

Reaction score
Helppppppppp guys, just getting my 73 Challenger 340 six pack together and I have no spark at the plugs, new ECU, new distributor, new coil, new rotor, new distributor cap, new volage regulator, new key switch, new battery, new spark plug wires. Have voltage to the ECU, to the voltage regulator, to the positive side of the coil, to the alternator. Battery is grounded to the engine and the chassis, the engine is grounded to the chassis also, the ECU is grounded. I timed the engine at 0 degreees TDC on compression. Set the electronic pickup in the distributor a 8 thousand of an inch. When I unplug the ECU I have voltage on both the negative and positive side of the coil, Voltage to the ballast resistor is good on all 4 posts. Starter engages and rolls the engine , fusible link is good. Have voltage on both sides of all fuses. The odd time I get spark but it is not consistent and the engine started once for a few seconds. Any ideas??????? Pulling my hair out in Toronto. :confused::confused::confused:

Something also have no headlights, tailights or dash lights but the horn, signal lights and brake lights work. Totally rattled and confused on this one. :confused::confused::confused:

The no headlights could be a bad fuse mabby?

I don't know about the no start thing though. What kind of voltage are you getting at the coil?

Or maby a bad fire wall connection?

Some one will come along who can help you better than I can. My Dart did the same thing to me I messed with it for days and got it running though I have no idea what I did to fix it realy.

Good luck to you. Here is a bump.

Drmktchr

Reaction score
Have it running now, the rubber connector between the ECU unit and the distributor has some minor corrosion inside and was not permitting enough voltage to the distributor.

As for the headlights I discovered the headlights and wiper motor operate on a circuit breaker. New wiper motor on its way as the one I rehabilited has an electrical short inside the motor.

Thanks

Drmktchr

Reaction score
Having some problem uploading pictures but man she turned out sweet and yup eh can not wait to do the first burn out. Just a few minor things now to finish :rolleyes: getting some tunes adjustin the bumpers and dialing her in LOCK and LOAD. Will try and post some pictures soon. Guess this makes her 1 of 1 perhaps the first 1973 Challenger T/A lol Not numbers matching as only the roof and firewall are original. :eek:

burntorange70

Reaction score
Try taking some pics with the camera set at 3.1 MP and they should load right up for you. Congrats to you on you build. Cant wait to see them pics.

and there is a thread around for members burn outs some where.

Back