• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil in clutch area

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It depends on the material used on the clutch disc , some are very grabby like an on off switch , there are many varieties of materials used for the clutch discs .
No real break in procedure other than going easy on it for a few miles until you get full contact & not slipping it excessively & overheating it .

Lee W.

Reaction score
Does that mean the grabby wont ever go away. taking off slow in reverse really shakes the car

fasjac

Reaction score
Did you replace the flywheel or have it machined? Was the pressure plate and disc clean of any oil or coatings? Some manufacturers say to break in the clutch at lower rpm’s and aggressive launch for 500 miles. I personally don’t follow that but, it sounds like the flywheel may be the issue. These parts have to be very clean. If all that is good, I’d put some miles on it. Absolutely should not chatter with new clean parts as explained.

Lee W.

Reaction score
new flywheel cleaned shipping oil off with a solvent both flywheel & pressure plate. Ill drive around some if it does not go away ILL BE BACK !

PlymDodGeorge

Reaction score
I feel your pain Lee. Our 1970 Challenger 440 went through a similar series of griefs. Two clutch and pressure plates later, the gremlin was, after all, the rear main seal, twice. Ended up with a new center force clutch about a year and a half ago. So far, so good. Best wishes of a successful solution for you!

Back