• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Only starts with the turn signal engaged

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If this works from the connector. it's a problem in the column. jump a wire from the red to the brown wire and touch yellow to red to engage starter. it will start and run while starter is on.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I didn’t see your edit on the last post until now. I jumped the red and brown wires and started getting smoke. Aborted that mission.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Then again, the gauge might be too small.
FFE35B06-28EA-488A-BAF2-1AD5EF26B500.jpeg

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Yes, by the jumping the brown to red I get smoke. Same happens when I jump the red to blue/white. That photo was just to illustrate the small gauge wire I’m using…sorry.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The red wire 12 r feeds the ignition switch. which you are getting from the fuse box. Ign 1 white blue is for the coil run. ign 2 brown wire is for the the coil for start . 12y feeds the starter relay. The blue and the brown feed power to the coil for start and blue feeds power to coil when running. The brown is off after it starts. try it when you get a larger jumper.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If it starts and runs. the problem is in the column wiring or switches.you will have to take it apart. make sure the plug is together and pins are not bent.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Okay. Tried with a heavier gauge jumper and no smoke. Jumped 12R to IGN2 and it started. Continued to run when I disconnected the jumper to the yellow. Tried the same by jumpering 12R to IGN1 and same result. However, I realized that the turn signal was engaged for both tests. I tried each test again with the turn signal disengaged, no start.

I suspect I have multiple problems, because now, when I jumper the yellow to the fuse box, I get nothing. My test light says there's juice going to the battery terminal on the fuse box, so I'm thinking bad connection on the starter wire (yellow).

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Snap fuse box out of place and exam en the wires on the back of fuse box and bulk head connector. mostly the red wire from battery and black wire from alternator. they are the high current draw.
Pay no attention to the other battery feed red wire you don't have one.
20210519_111909.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This is what happens to the brown ign start wire from constant starting.It feeds full power to the coil to start.where as the run ign goes through the ballast reduced power.

20210527_101221.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You may have to open the harnes up like this. Zip tie in groups to keep it together for re taping. I was replacing the bulk head connector.

20210527_133109.jpg

20210527_110158.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Before you do that.unplug the bulkhead connectors under the hood. Try stating and running the car from there. get power from battery and jump as you did under the dash.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You said "My test light says there's juice going to the battery terminal on the fuse box, so I'm thinking bad connection on the starter wire" Keep an open mind. I think you are. Sometimes you might get a reading of power or voltage. But there still could be a problem under a heavy load.

Back