• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Opinions on a potential acquisition...

Huskyviper

Reaction score
Just joined the forum. Have been away from e-bodies since around 1994. Moved into a couple of gen1 vipers for the last 20 years, recently sold/traded those for a Hellcat and love it!!!

And now have an opportunity to go back to my roots. Found a 70 Challenger convertible avail, it is a 440-6 727 clone, an above average complete restoration about 20-25 years ago, originally a slant six car, factory a/c, i think (unsure if you could add a/c on the 6). Car has very minor rust on attachment/accessory bolts only and not on it’s original non-patched sheet metal. Has 9/10 single stage paint i believe. Is titled and has the original vin tag on what appears to be the original dash pad. Has some minor easily fixable issues aside from needing a new dash pad.

Problem is, there is no broadcast sheet, no provenance, old owner history, pic’s or record of who did the restoration. And my main concern, the owner has misplaced the fender tag and is searching for it, he may or may not find it. I know what it is worth to me and what i am willing to pay to get it. But as a former multi-e-body owner including 2 verts, I am not up to speed on the hit or delta in price/value nowadays on not having the fender tag with the original build data. Of course i am curious on what options it did have vs what has been added. Looking for opinions/guidance on what it might be worth with or without the tag, knowing of course it’s a tribute, Regards...

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! A fender tag would be nice as would a build sheet but the fact that the car has already been cloned into something else makes the lack of those not as big a deal. My numbers matching 383 4bbl ‘71 Challenger convertible with fresh original drivetrain, fresh paint under the hood, new top, recent interior, ac car with its original equipment just not currently installed, has fender tag, no rust underneath ever, 1 year only Butterscotch w/black stripes, console automatic, 25+ year old repaint with some bubbling starting in front of the rear wheels and in the right light, evidence of a couple of small patches in the lowest part of the rear quarters, non-original rallye hood and instrument cluster and T/A spoiler added when it was repainted and all that without a period! Overall a very nice driver and one of 126. What’s it worth? Probably around 45 to 50k as is.
BA575DF1-DA24-401E-8668-A9FF19DC0DD9.jpeg
2763074E-1F08-4114-8833-31DAEA369F71.jpeg
170764DE-33B1-4219-B89F-698BF0807EF3.jpeg

Huskyviper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, like that color! Had a white 71 vert a long time ago that was repainted and with fuzzy memory might have been originally go-mango.

For my curiosity before making the offer, i would like to confirm some of the options. That it’s a slap stick, paint code, am/fm radio, interior/top color, a/c, luggage rack, etc., without having to do to put it under the microscope. (I do have to get it under with a lift and get some questions answered on the drive train install and components). So with that i will see any obvious clues or hacks. The current owner bought it already restored a long time ago and was flummoxed that he can’t find the tag. Don’t want to stir the pot, but at the same time, don’t want to overpay.

Last edited:

jeff968

Reaction score
I agree with Matt, the lack of fender tag/BC sheet makes little difference on this car. What you should be looking at is the quality of the build. Did they do a nice job? Will it be a good driver? Will it stay together? A good inspection will tell you that. Whether the car came originally with a column or console shift makes no difference. It is a clone. If you like what the original builder did then you are good to go. Good luck.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
opinions vary.
I say, no tag ,no sheet ,no deal.
some wont give it a second glance if its not all numbers and la de da.
like matt said its already been heavily altered so now its a question of
can you live without it.
it wont hurt to have someone look at it with you.
bring cash $$$ cut him off at the knees.

Huskyviper

Reaction score
Also...Other than a 69 or 70 casting, what would be the preferable 440 block type/s?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’d like to see this one and I’d also like to see how it would do at auction.

1971 DODGE CHALLENGER-CONVERTABLE - $39995 (s.lancaster) hide this posting

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
248 main street
(google map)

1971 DODGE CHALLENGER

fuel: gas
odometer: 42000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

PROJECT CAR---90% DONE
PAINTED INSIDE & OUT--ORIGINAL BUTTERSCOTCH PAINT
318 DEALER INSTALLED HEADS, 340 HEADS INTAKE & CARB.&INTAKE CLEANER
MOTOR RE-BUILT A FEW YEARS AGO--ALL NUMBERS MATCH VECHILE
ORIGINAL WHITE BUCKET SEATS, CONSOL, DASH, AND ORIGINAL GLASS
NEEDS: FRONT & REAR BUMPERS RE-CHROMED, VALANCES, NEW CONV. ROOF
PLEASE NO TIRE KICKERS--CAR IS NOT CHEAP
CALL (978) 368-1174 ASK FOR FRANCIS OR LEAVE A MESSAGE

KATSAAR

Reaction score
matt, there were pics on the last c list post.
I was told it looks very straight.
I "heard" there's a lot of angle iron- steel plating on the rails.
poor quality.
that's what I heard

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Well I’d say based on these 2 Butterscotch cars alone his is worth around 25k or mine should be worth around 65K...

hofilbert

Reaction score
IMHO, from what I've seen in clone cars, people mostly run from original 6 cyl cars and the price reflects that. IF it is a 318 or other V8 car that doesn't seem to matter much. If the guy is pricing your car the same as a 318 clone, then I'd say he's asking too much.

Back