• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Original Fenders- Repair or Replace?

72barracuda

Reaction score
My original fenders have been media blasted and primed and are showing all the dents that used be covered in filler. Proper repair is beyond my skills and the estimates to repair are approximately the same as the cost of AMD fenders. Even with the repair, the fenders will have a skim coat of filler. The originals are solid, just beat up. What is everyone's experience with AMD? Are they a true bolt on with no further mods required? Is alignment with door and bolt holes good? If I buy AMD will I still have to pay a body shop to make them fit? If AMD is good then it makes sense to buy them and get what I can for the old ones. They are worth something to someone that can fix them.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Rustfree originals would be my first choice every time, dents and dings can be massaged out.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would go with the originals. How bad are they? Post some pics. AMD is good; but not as good as original. The original metal is also a better quality of steel.

Adam

Reaction score
IMG_2922.JPGIMG_2920.JPGIMG_2921.JPG
AMD is good, but not perfect. Here is an AMD Door skin and a Goodmark fender.. this fender was eventually replaced with an AMD fender for other issues and it also would have required this mod. Also the Passenger Fender had the same issue with a Factory door. Any replacement metal will need something! they are never good enough to just bolt on... and I have done an AMD hood (Small depression); trunk lid (Pass side hinge bolt holes out of spec); Roof skin (Two Small depressions); Trunk pan (18 in dent); Dutchman panel was ok but the edges are rounder than stock. Even the AMD 1/4 panel does not have the correct stamp for the Gashole...haha, I like saying gashole..

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I had to make some crazy cuts on a pair of AMD quarters to get them to fit on my '68 RR but I had no gashole problems...

jimynick

Reaction score
I've used a bunch of AMD panels as well and they have their issues. Ask around garages if they know a decent bodyman and find out who he is, call him and ask if he does any work on the side and mention that you have a little cash job and would he be interested? 10 or 20, 20's are an enticing sight. Just be sure to not pay him up front, all the money. 25% up front, 50% when one fender is done and to your liking and so on. He's probably making $20 25/hr before deductions and I'd be surprised if it took him more than 10 hrs to de-dent those fenders unless they're ugly. Good luck

Back