• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint the underside of a 1971 Challenger

sanman68

Reaction score
I want to paint the underside of my 1971 Challenger convertible. I don't need a show quality paint job and plan on using a single stage. My questions is can I paint the underside of my car without a rotisserie? I am think about getting tall jack stands or something to get the car up high enough. Clean it up to bare metal. Prime with metal etching primer. Seal coat it. Sand it a little to smooth it out and paint it with a single stage. Will it work upside down?

Sanman68

Adam

Reaction score
Sure, if you can get it high enough that you can get around with a spray gun. A quality job needs a lot of prep and wet sanding of the primer. Why not shoot lizard skin or something else? Some of the lining products are tintable, some you can paint over. I used tintable Hippo Liner on my old Power Wagon, It is easy to do it yourself with a shutz gun, & the color is very close to the rest of the truck, & the stuff is very tough.

Last edited:

sanman68

Reaction score
I wanted to match the body color. I probably am not going to wet sand. Lizard skin? I will check into that.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The factory method for painting these cars got some overspray around the outer edge. Don't get me wrong, I respect that you want to paint the bottom but the fact that mine appears stock underneath has never once kept me from enjoying or using it. In fact I'm hard pressed to even see past the frame rail if I'm laying on my belly next to it.

71Plym

Reaction score
I painted the bottom of my Cuda. Single stage works fine. I know it is not factory correct, but I like it. If you drive the car a lot, the wheel wells will eventually get chipped, but you can undercoat those at a later date. Mine is still just paint.

august12005 022.jpg

august12005 022.jpg

js29

Reaction score
my old davilbis paint gun has special bags to go in the cup, and they zip lock. turn the gun upside down to purge, and you can paint in any position you want with out spilling or leaking through the vent.

Adam

Reaction score
Last edited:
Back