• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pinion Seal

wilbur

Reaction score
I have an 8.3/4 489. my pinion seal leaks. it is a very slow leak but it still is a leak. My question is if I mark the nut and count how many threads can I just remove the seal and just pop another one back in ?

Adam

Reaction score
I have an 8.3/4 489. my pinion seal leaks. it is a very slow leak but it still is a leak. My question is if I mark the nut and count how many threads can I just remove the seal and just pop another one back in ?

Depends; if your diff has a crush sleeve it may be questionable on whether you can re-establish the correct preload; if it has solid shims/spacers it will be fine. If it is not subjected to heavy abuse I think it would be ok to just replace the seal. You will probably also need a Redi-sleeve or Speedy sleeve similar to this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121647395152?lpid=82&chn=ps

Make sure you get the right size.

moparleo

Reaction score
Your 489 will have a crush sleeve. If it is a slight leak, you may be better off waiting until you need to do some diff work. Otherwise you make create a worse problem than you might have right now.

Back