• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power steering box question

Hubes71

Reaction score
I believe it was a stage two Firmfeel. I was forced to go to the Borgeson box due to adding headers to my Gen 3 hemi. I did not have to cut my steering column shaft . I actually jig drilled the supplied universal joint to suit the dowel pin in the end of the shaft. Worked like a charm. I'm not a purist, I tend to lean towards functionality. Aside from looks, you will not be disappointed with the Borgeson.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I was also worried about that uni joint conversion the OEM pot joint allows some movement to compensate for chassis flex over bumps and from engine torque the uni joint won't compress or extend so where would those forces be transferred?

Hubes71

Reaction score
Yes , there will be some minute flex, but, with the unitized body construction of these cars there should be very little from the steering box to the points where the column mounts. I'm thinking there is enough give for this not to be an issue. If you had a full frame and the body was rubber mounted maybe there would be more movement to be concerned about. Obviously this is only my humble opinion .

wayne

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Borgeson box going from manual steering? I am considering this option and curious how cutting the column went and how much they had to cut off? Any tips for that procedure?

gzig5

Reaction score
I was also worried about that uni joint conversion the OEM pot joint allows some movement to compensate for chassis flex over bumps and from engine torque the uni joint won't compress or extend so where would those forces be transferred?

Take a look at Bergman Autocraft. They sell a new OEM type coupler that works with the Borgeson box, as well as selling boxes, pumps, and kits. The only downside I have heard about this conversion is that some folks are getting a whine/vibration when the steering is unloaded on center. I don't know if this has been figured out. With the exhaust in a lot of these cars you'd never hear it but it would be annoying in a quiet car.

Direct-Fit Mopar Steering Coupler - No Cutting - Bergman Auto Craft

Back