• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pulley Allignment And Balancer Question

DaveH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think I'm over thinking this like I always do
smile.gif
but I want to have the engine (340) all correct before I put the engine in the car so I don't have much to do when it's in the engine bay. I just installed my new balancer and pulleys on my 340 and the water pump and crank pulley seem aligned but the power steering pump seems slightly off. The PS pulley is a little loose I'm guessing for alignment reasons?

Does the balancer look all the way installed? I installed it until it bottomed out and wouldn't go on anymore. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Dave

P1010051.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010053.JPG

DaveH

Reaction score
Was this engine complete before you started to do the rebuild ?
Yes and ran great but I'm replacing almost everything with newer components as you can see in the pics. I figured while it was out I would do it right. I don't want to put it back in and have issues. Thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are just replacing parts, it should be just a matter of comparing the old with the new. Saying that, there are 2 different harmonic balancers for the 340 . One for cast cranks and one for forged cranks. Just looking at you pictures, the harmonic balancer is not seated deep enough for the timing cover. The timing mark should cover part of the balancer.

DaveH

Reaction score
If you are just replacing parts, it should be just a matter of comparing the old with the new. Saying that, there are 2 different harmonic balancers for the 340 . One for cast cranks and one for forged cranks. Just looking at you pictures, the harmonic balancer is not seated deep enough for the timing cover. The timing mark should cover part of the balancer.
Ok thanks I guess I should take it apart and double check. Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think I'm over thinking this like I always do
smile.gif
but I want to have the engine (340) all correct before I put the engine in the car so I don't have much to do when it's in the engine bay. I just installed my new balancer and pulleys on my 340 and the water pump and crank pulley seem aligned but the power steering pump seems slightly off. The PS pulley is a little loose I'm guessing for alignment reasons?

Does the balancer look all the way installed? I installed it until it bottomed out and wouldn't go on anymore. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Dave
Have you tried putting a belt on & tensioning, the power steering fitting in a bit springy & tends to align once tension is put on it

DaveH

Reaction score
Have you tried putting a belt on & tensioning, the power steering fitting in a bit springy & tends to align once tension is put on it
The Challenger was originally a 318 car but now I'm finishing up building a 340 for it. I've been a first gen Camaro guy but always wanted a 71 Challenger Convertible so now I'm a Mopar guy. Mopars are a different bird than Chevys. Both money and assembly. I moved and downsized so I can only have one car.
I just got it back from paint and it looks awesome and straight as an arrow. I went with the 2016 Challenger Plum Crazy. The bit of pearl really makes it pop. These were taken a couple of weeks ago. I converted it from a plain hood to a shaker car. Most of the sheet metal is all new and looks amazing.

P1010038.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG

P1010042.JPG

AUSTA

Reaction score
The Challenger was originally a 318 car but now I'm finishing up building a 340 for it. I've been a first gen Camaro guy but always wanted a 71 Challenger Convertible so now I'm a Mopar guy. Mopars are a different bird than Chevys. Both money and assembly. I moved and downsized so I can only have one car.
I just got it back from paint and it looks awesome and straight as an arrow. I went with the 2016 Challenger Plum Crazy. The bit of pearl really makes it pop. These were taken a couple of weeks ago. I converted it from a plain hood to a shaker car. Most of the sheet metal is all new and looks amazing.
Looks great ,that,s what my paint guy done put a bit of extra chrome flake in the Go Mango makes it pop in the sun.

DaveH

Reaction score
Looks great ,that,s what my paint guy done put a bit of extra chrome flake in the Go Mango makes it pop in the sun.
Had a guy pull me over on the way home and offer me 25/K for the shell as is. The car really looks amazing. Thanks

DaveH

Reaction score
One more question. I installed the balancer with the proper installer/puller tool. I have a new ARP 12 point crank bolt do you see any issues with giving it 1 or 2 squeezes with the impact gun just to make sure I have it all of the way on? Thanks

Dave

AUSTA

Reaction score
Yes normally it should be tensioned & it bottoms out on the timing chain drive cog.
I run an AR Engineering one piece cover on my 340 with a romac balancer had to add around 1/4"shim to stop it scrapping on the timing cover.
I had the one you have previous & had no problem tightening all the way

DaveH

Reaction score
I think I'm good. I found an old picture before I took the engine apart and the distance between the old timing cover and balancer look identical. What do you guys think?

P1010280.JPG

P1010053.JPG

Adam

Reaction score
If everything lines up, except the PS pump I would say the balancer is all the way on. Use spacers to move the pump forward, and washers between the pump body and bracket, to move it rearward. These often don't line up perfectly.

Steve340

Reaction score
Like someone said in earlier post the balancer must crush the crank timing gear against the front main bearing of the crankshaft. The retaining bolt maintains this crush without it everything will fret and soon you will have problems. Once you know the balancer is in the right place and tight you can make the pulleys line up without an issue.

Back