• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

pump alignment problem help needed

SFEbody

Reaction score
Running into a snag, used my old /6 power steer pump on new 440 source brackets and it is about an inch from lining up to the crankshaft pulley. If anyone has experienced this let me know if you have a good fix.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Adam-or anyone else with suggestions are much appreciated.
here are a few pics of it signed up on the pulley

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Let's see what others say, but I just don't see that anything is way out of whack.

SFEbody

Reaction score
moparlee, it does line up to the brackets but the pulley's are way off. here is a pic that may help

Adam

Reaction score
440 Source has both pumps and pulleys. Their site shows your type of pump and recommends their 132-1003 pulley. Then if you still have alignment problems you might need a different crank pulley.

Hard to tell in the pics, is the belt hitting the fan pulley. Maybe a smaller crank pulley is needed.

Last edited:

SFEbody

Reaction score
It is not hitting the fan pulley just alignment is off. I am using 440 source brackets, pulleys both crank and water pump? they align up, its just the pump pulley on the PS. It is a pump from my /6. Are the pumps different on V8's?

moparlee

Reaction score
It is not hitting the fan pulley just alignment is off. I am using 440 source brackets, pulleys both crank and water pump? they align up, its just the pump pulley on the PS. It is a pump from my /6. Are the pumps different on V8's?

Ok, this should help. According to my factory service manual, the pumps are different. The /6 uses a 1.06 pump and the 440 uses a .94 pump.
DSCF1505.JPG
DSCF1506.JPG

SFEbody

Reaction score
Thanks Lee. But I wonder if anyone can let me know the measurement from the front of the pump to the center of the pulley for each?

moparlee

Reaction score
For the .94 pump from the face of the bolt hole boss to the pulley center line is 1 1/2" on my 340 which is the same pump as on your 440.
DSCF1509.JPG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Are you saying that the angle of the power steering pulley is different than the angle of the crank pulley? If so you can use washers under the bolts to change angles.

RJH

Reaction score
Are you saying that the angle of the power steering pulley is different than the angle of the crank pulley? If so you can use washers under the bolts to change angles.
Hi Guys. If I may add not all after market brackets have the proper bend in them to align the pulleys properly. I just installed my 71saginaw pump with new brackets on a 70 big block and had to add a little bend. Also solid pulleys have a different offset than open pulleys. I hope this helps

SFEbody

Reaction score
RJH,
That makes sense. Instead of washers, I think I may pull them off and apply a little heat to them and make a slight bend. Great suggestion.

Back