• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

R/T stripes for 1971 Challenger

Trevor Challenger

Reaction score
I have a 1971 challenger convertible that I'm making into an R/T tribute. In 1971 were the stripes on the side of the car and the hood painted on or were they vinyl decals? I would like to paint my stripes on but I can't find a stencil for the stripes anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find R/T stencils?

340challconvert

Reaction score
If this is helpful, this is just one of the many companies that sell the tape decal.
Authorized Mopar Reproduction stripe

Graphic Express - 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T Upper Body Stripe Kit - R/T Name

1971 Dodge Challenger R/T Upper Body Stripe Kit - R/T Name 125.00
Part # QG-CDCL-71-511
This company also has the hood tape decals!

qg-511_1 (1).png

Dino2 (1).gif

M

MoparJas

I've noticed my 1971 Challenger R/T hood decal is a satin/matte black vinyl, while the side stripes are a gloss black.

Does anyone know how this came originally from the factory?

Thanks

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don't see much difference between my hood blackout and the side stripes but I also know they're not originals so I can't discount that they might be incorrect repops.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The stripes should be a matte finish. Leave what you have alone or get a new set of stripes.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I think the hood decals were satin-mat so that they would not reflect light into your eyes when driving.

It's been awhile since I owned a 71, but I recall that the side stripes had a little shine but we're not what I would call high gloss. I think both were the satin-mat.
Just my thoughts!

Last edited:
M

MoparJas

Interesting! I will have to keep an eye out... Thanks for the info!

Back