• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radiator confusion (help)

john_wick

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on this topic - I've tried researching. About to pull a trigger on a radiator but a little confused on which specification. Just a little info about my project: 1970 Challanger 727 auto with a 383 big block. I've read countless threads about what kind of radiator and found a great deal on a Be Cool set up (its a floor model kit on clearence).

Concern #1: My car is an auto but the radiator is for a standard drive

So most of my mechanic buddies said it's better any way to run an external trans cooler. For if there are any issues with the cooler, having to replace the entire radiator is potentially more expensive than having to just replace a trans cooler. On the flip side, another buddy said absolutely get an automatic built in cooler. He said he's seen many crazy external cooler set ups that either restrict cooling for the radiator or are mounted in "bad" spots like under the car. Any thoughts on this?

Concern #2: This particular be cool radiator has the upper radiator hose inlet on the passenger side and the lower on driver side.

I've googled countless pictures of setups and I see both ways DS upper/PS lower and the opposite DS lower/PS upper. Just for reference, Be Cool offers both and Cold Case offers both etc. So I'm not sure which is "correct".

At the end of the day, this deal is a great price and if I can make it work I'd probably pull the trigger but if its more "custom" work to get it right I'd rather move on.

fasjac

Reaction score
JMO, I’d run the rad with cooler in it. There’s a lot of options that should be practically bolt in. If it’s a drag car, external cooler. I believe Afco makes one that would work too. Good luck

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
In 70 the lower hose is always on the driver side .
If you run an alum rad you need to isolate it from the chassis somehow , alum will not withstand flex like brass will & will eventually crack , all modern cars with Alum rads are isolated not bolted to the chassis .

john_wick

Reaction score
In 70 the lower hose is always on the driver side .
If you run an alum rad you need to isolate it from the chassis somehow , alum will not withstand flex like brass will & will eventually crack , all modern cars with Alum rads are isolated not bolted to the chassis .

I ordered a different kit all together than my original plan. It is aluminum which leads me to my next question. How do you recommend isolating it? Rubber washers?

fasjac

Reaction score
Absolutely, studded/threaded rubber mounts usually work well. You can find em at the local parts stores and Home Depot etc.

fasjac

Reaction score
Chryco shared that a long time ago. He’s right, the aluminum will crack if you’re hard on it from time to time. We’re supposed to be right, what there’re made for.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Most newer cars have a saddle type mount that the edge of the core sit into with a similar type mount at the top , you could get a set from a wrecker to adapt

Back