• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radiator sizes

hammer

Reaction score
In my 1971 Challenger convertible, it was a stock 318 with a 3 speed. I have now gone to a 340, mild rebuild and was looking to put a 4 core 26 inch radiator in for maximum cooling, but it seems the mounting plate will only accommodate a 21 inch. Were there 2 different radiator mounts put in the cars? For the six and 318, the 21 inch, and then for the 340 and big blocks the 26 inch? Just wondering? Thanks

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can buy new radiator core support side to widen the radiator opening.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
4 core tend not to be efficient , they add coolant capacity but the 4 th core will not add cooling , a high efficiency 3 core is better

hammer

Reaction score
So what you are saying is that an aluminum 3 core should be enough to keep this motor cool? I want to stay with the 22 inch. Should I get the electric fans also. I know a shroud is important too!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes a 3 core should be fine , shrouds are a must , electric fans are marginal at best , a belt driven clutch fan is far better

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Adapting the shroud can be difficult when you are running a clutch fan. For that reason most people use the electric fans.

Back