• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio Delete Plate info - seeking input

GGeesey

Reaction score
My '70 Challenger is a factory non-rally dash and radio delete vehicle. Well, since the radio was actually an option, it's more of a "radio-not-ordered" vehicle. Anyway, The plate where the radio would normally go is missing. Since the rest of the dash fascia is ribbed on a '70 non-rally dash would the "radio delete" plate be ribbed as well? Tony's Parts reproduces this block-off plate for the rally dash cars, but it is smooth with no ribs.

Citing what I assume is an incredibly low volume part, would Dodge have bothered to make the specific "ribbed" block off plate for this one-year only design? Or would they have taken the easy (and cheaper) way out and just installed the "smooth" plate on a '70 non rally dash vehicle with no radio?

Would LOVE to hear input/thoughts on this. I want the car as correct as possible. Thanks!

Grady Cain

Reaction score
The 1970 non-rallye dash radio-delete panel was absolutely ribbed. My car is a radio-delete car and I have the delete panel although it was cut at the dealership to have a radio installed at the customer's request. Note the difference between a delete panel and a standard radio trim panel - the delete panel does not have the extra cut-out at the bottom. These panels are NOT reproduced and are extremely rare. I've been searching for a complete one for years...
20140315_122152.jpg

GGeesey

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the info. So I guess there (at least!) two of us looking for this part now

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the info. So I guess there (at least!) two of us looking for this part now

I've been looking for a ribbed one for years as well.

I am trying to rebuild mine by grafting in a piece of ribbed plastic I cut out of a spare non-rallye gauge cluster (the large lower section below the gauge openings.) Only difference is the ribs are slightly thinner in the cluster area and don't exactly match. I think there is a way to hide the seams behind the surrounding trim pieces if I cut back the radio opening large enough before I plastic weld the donor part in. I will document this when it happens. Not high on my priority list right now but maybe someday...

GGeesey

Reaction score
I am trying to rebuild mine by grafting in a piece of ribbed plastic I cut out of a spare non-rallye gauge cluster (the large lower section below the gauge openings.) Only difference is the ribs are slightly thinner in the cluster area and don't exactly match. I think there is a way to hide the seams behind the surrounding trim pieces if I cut back the radio opening large enough before I plastic weld the donor part in. I will document this when it happens. Not high on my priority list right now but maybe someday...
Yes!!! Please share!!! I wonder if this part is capable of being made by one of these 3-D printers???

Adam

Reaction score
Hey Grady why don’t you see if someone can scan your panel and 3D print a new one with the missing parts filled in; does anyone out there know if this is possible?

Edit: oops, I did not see someone had already suggested that..

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Hey Grady why don’t you see if someone can scan your panel and 3D print a new one with the missing parts filled in; does anyone out there know if this is possible?

Edit: oops, I did not see someone had already suggested that..

I'm sure it's possible. I recently picked up some convertible top pieces that were made by 3d printer. pretty cool.

I guess I'm just old-skool (or just old) but that never even entered my mind. It's a fantastic idea! The panel is not flat - it is still a normally shaped E-body radio trim panel with the 90 degree side piece not seen in my photos because it has been broken off. I have no idea if that can be created by a 3D printer and I don't know anyone who does that but rest assured, I am going to look into it. Thank you to everyone else that thought of it!

Adam

Reaction score
A 3D printer can certainly handle the height, width, and depth of your plate, I just don’t know how they would fill in the missing areas after they scanned it.

There are lots of 3D printing demo videos on the web.

GGeesey

Reaction score
I purchased a "rally dash" radio delete plate from Tony D'Agostino. It was a little pricy, but he located me an NOS piece. It may not be 100% factory correct, but boy does it look great! Only a true die-hard Mopar person will ever notice that it isn't ribbed. Honestly, in the black interior you hardly even notice the difference.

Back