• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Raising the 1970 Challenger's rear end...

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Hey guys... so, about a year ago, I replaced the springs, shocks, put a Hotchkis Sway Bar in, etc. Unfortunately, I ordered regular STOCK springs for the rear (my springs were original to the car). But now I realize, I want a little more lift in the rear, so I was considering my options. I really don't want to have to buy and reinstall Super Stock springs, but I also can't use a hanger in the rear for extra lift, because of the restriction of the valence panel.

Has anyone ever ADDED an extra leaf to the existing springs? I looked around and couldn't even find one??
Or, is my only other option to have them re-arced for more lift?

This is a 440 car, if that matters.

Ideas?

THANKS!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have often used an extra main leaf with the spring eyes cut off below the main leaf to raise the rear , you will need new center bolts & I use a square top U bolt in the front to clamp the front of the springs together for extra stiffness .

Ralph

Reaction score
Firm Feel will sell you a set based on stock or plus 1" etc.

I bought my ebody leaf springs at plus 1 inch

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm in the Austin TX area, if that matters.

When you say add an "extra main spring", I'm not sure what that entails? Where would I even get that? I bought the Mopar stock springs from Jegs, if that matters also.
If all I need to do is add an extra leaf to my springs, I think there's more than enough bolt length to accommodate it, so not sure what you mean?

Attachments

• 20200108_133309_resized.jpg
    20200108_133309_resized.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 20200108_133312_resized.jpg
    20200108_133312_resized.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 20200108_133316_resized.jpg
    20200108_133316_resized.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 233

NoCar340

Reaction score
In terms of bolt length he's talking about the spring center pin, which is not visible in the picture. It holds the leaves together and acts as a pilot for both the axle housing and the shock plates. They're generally a specific length for their particular spring pack.

Simply adding a leaf is usually only going to raise the car the thickness of that leaf. Find a truck* spring & brake shop nearby, and bring them your springs (they might do the work on the car; ask if that's what you'd prefer). Have your main leaves re-arched a bit more than you think you want, as the springs will settle. They'll be able to advise you better on this than me, but it's usually about an inch extra. They'll also know the length and location of an extra leaf best suited to maintain the arch better than any of us keyboard warriors. It will likely sit too high when you initially reassemble the car, but over a month or two of driving the springs will settle. If the car doesn't settle enough, they can pull some arch back out. It's not an exact science, but they know their business. Our local spring shop is quite good at this stuff. One caveat: Do not simply tell them "I want an extra inch of arch" or that's exactly what you'll get. You'll land right back at Square One after they settle. Discuss what you're trying to accomplish with them, and let them advise you. If they're not capable of that, find a different shop.

Future generations thank you for not choosing air or coil-over shocks to adjust ride height.

*Look in the Yellow Pages or yp com under Truck Repair. Our local shop does not advertise in the automotive section.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I bought new 2 inch over stock springs and ran them for awhile and they lost a half inch so I used 2 leafs off my old spring. I got new longer center bolts and used strap iron with 5/16 bolts for thicker spring clamps. This gave me my half inch back. Just do one side of the car at a time. This worked for me, might not work for everybody!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 192
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 222
Back