• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Dash Limiter Condenser

SpeedD408

Reaction score
Does anyone make a replacement condenser for our beloved E-bodies? My internet searching skills are failing me as I've looked at various sites and see nothing. I see condenser for the A/C system and the points condensers, but nothing for the dash gauge pod. eBay has 2 used ones for the B-body that look right and are probably the same, but again used.

I'm going to be pulling the rallye gauge cluster out as I need to replace the tachometer board with one from RTE. The owner before me replaced the points ignition with an electronic one, so naturally the tack doesn't work. The RTE board will work with both points, electronic or MSD so I figured that was the better way to go. I also need to replace the broken speed-o needle.

Back to the condenser.... Do I need one? Probably not as my fuel, oil, temp gauges work. However, I figure if I'm going to be in there it is a good time to replace a 50 year old capacitor.

Thanks for the help.

70chall440

Reaction score
First off it is a capacitor and its function is to reduce electrical noise. If you have a solid state VR (like one from RTE) you don't need it. I don't know who has one but unless you have issues it is probably good.

Not sure why you think that the tach won't work with electronic ignition, my tach works fine after I converted it from points to electronic ignition, then when I put the EFI 6 pack in and MSD I had to add an adapter but still works good.

SpeedD408

Reaction score
First off it is a capacitor and its function is to reduce electrical noise. If you have a solid state VR (like one from RTE) you don't need it. I don't know who has one but unless you have issues it is probably good.

Not sure why you think that the tach won't work with electronic ignition, my tach works fine after I converted it from points to electronic ignition, then when I put the EFI 6 pack in and MSD I had to add an adapter but still works good.

Thanks. Yes, I have the RTE IVR3 and it does say that it is not needed with that unit, but it still says to hook it up.

Tach... well, my tack isn't working. No movement at all. I'm going to replace the board with the RTE version in hopes of getting things fixed. Could just be a bad connector some place, but I also have a broken speed-0 needle, so if I have to take things apart, I'd rather do it once and get everything done, vs. going back in. I figure the plastic is getting old and brittle and I really don't want to muck with it more than I need too.

Thank you.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree not needed with the electronic VR it protects the points from arcing with the original VR

Adam

Reaction score
I’ve done a couple of rte tach conversions, definately recommend. The speedo needle is super thin aluminum. I fixed one once by gluing a tiny sewing needle to the back side.. problem is too much weight will throw the speedo off. Also, the quartz clock kit is nice, easy to install too. While you have it apart it is an easy matter to polish the clear plastic lens and remove any fine scratches. Microfiber cloth and finish buffing compound do a great job.

Back