• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

rallye gauge on fender tag?

tommie69

Reaction score
I have been looking at a car for sale. Guy said the car is a "rallye gauge car" . If it is a rallye gauge car wouldn't it be on the fender tag?.

tommie69

Reaction score
So if thete is no A62 on the fender tag, does that mean the car originally did not have a rallye gauge ? Or is it possible it is a rallye gauge car and it's not on the fender tag?

Adam

Reaction score
So if thete is no A62 on the fender tag, does that mean the car originally did not have a rallye gauge ? Or is it possible it is a rallye gauge car and it's not on the fender tag?

I do not think it is on the fender tag. Mine is not, but it is on the build sheet.

tommie69

Reaction score
Really. Wow! That's good to hear. I have seen the a62 on fender tags. Maybe different plants did things different?

js29

Reaction score
An N85 is for A tachometer, I have seen that code with no A62. what is this car you are looking at? A challenger R/T came standard equipment, A cuda did not, any v8 E-body could be ordered with A rallye Gauge cluster.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that my '71 Challenger originally had a rallye cluster and it's not on the tag.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
The Rallye Instrument panel was an extra cost option on 1971 Plymouth Barracudas, Gran Coupes, and 'Cuda models. If it doesn't have A62 on the tag, then it didn't come with it originally. The Rallye Instrument panel was standard equipment on the 1971 Challenger R/Ts, and there is no A62 on the tag - because it came standard. It was an extra cost option for the 1971 Base Challenger (JH23/JH27), and A62 will show up on the fender tag if so equipped.

I have a small database of 1971 Barracudas and Challengers - and the above statements hold true on them. My best guess is the car that you are looking at was upgraded to the Rallye Instrument panel.

tommie69

Reaction score
The Rallye Instrument panel was an extra cost option on 1971 Plymouth Barracudas, Gran Coupes, and 'Cuda models. If it doesn't have A62 on the tag, then it didn't come with it originally. The Rallye Instrument panel was standard equipment on the 1971 Challenger R/Ts, and there is no A62 on the tag - because it came standard. It was an extra cost option for the 1971 Base Challenger (JH23/JH27), and A62 will show up on the fender tag if so equipped.

I have a small database of 1971 Barracudas and Challengers - and the above statements hold true on them. My best guess is the car that you are looking at was upgraded to the Rallye Instrument panel.

Thank you for your help, That's what I thought. I guess its better to upgrade to rallye gauges and it not being correct, then to have the standard gauges and being correct? shouldn't hurt the cars value!

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Thank you for your help, That's what I thought. I guess its better to upgrade to rallye gauges and it not being correct, then to have the standard gauges and being correct? shouldn't hurt the cars value!

No, should not hurt the cars value. If someone wanted to take the car back to original - they could sell the rallye panel and re-install a standard panel without too much trouble. Good luck with your decision!

jeff968

Reaction score
Adam n85 and a62 are not on the fender tag. again my question is, could a 71 cuda come from the factory with rallye gauges if it is not on the fender tag???

I say no. I've owned a number of 71 'Cudas. If they had a ralley dash they had the A62 on the fender tag. A couple of things to look for that are big giveaways that the ralley gauges were added:

1) Are they 70-71 gauges? The resets should be outside of the pods, not within them. If within them they are from a 72-74 and obviously added.
2) The lower black dash pieces are also unique to the ralley dash. Does the heater control panel have the cutout for the large standard dash speedo? Many times this piece is left and there is a visable gap.

Because the ralley dash was optional on 'Cudas many have the standard gauges.

Last edited:

JAS

Reaction score
Mine has A62 right on the fender tag, the Rallye gauge cluster was an option on all cars regardless, I thought.

JAS

Reaction score
Nevermind, my car is a JH23 A66 car...

Back