• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Brake Light Issue

CNUMB

Reaction score
Had the problem last November, no turn signals or left rear brake light. So I replaced the turn signal switch. Last weekend took the challenger for a spin. Now no rear brake lights. Have new brake switch that is good and has power. I pulled the steering wheel, the turn signal arm was lose so tightened the screw. the turn signal switch looks okay. If I take the turn signal switch out of the column and leave it hanging in front, the rear brake light work and the hazards work for a change. but when I re install the switch, the brake lights do not work , and the hazard fuse stays running but no lights till I pull the hazard switch out.. I have done this several times.. I guess the switch must be bad???

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The problem has to be in the switch but maybe the switch is distorted when it is mounted causing the contacts to not touch , can you tighten the moving part against the mounted part or shim the switch when mounted so it contacts correctly ?

CNUMB

Reaction score
Thank Chryco Psycho.. I ended up replacing the switch. Everything is now working like it should. I think part of the problem was the yellow wire from the light close to the ignition switch was crushed against the steering column and looked burnt.. So I took care of that also.

Back