• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Main Seal swap - 1970 Challenger 318/340

terraformer

Reaction score
I know this is possible with some brands of car/engine but from folks experienced with challengers, is it practical to swap out the rear main seal without lifting the engine on a Challenger 318/340? I know I will need to move the tranny but I am trying to see if I get away with just that. If I can't, I may just replace the motor at this point. I know that sounds dramatic but "Bubba the Wrench Monkey" did the engine rebuild before the car was sold to me (hence why I have to replace what should be a brand new main seal...*) and if the labor is the same, it may be the best $3K I spend to redo it. It would delay when I do it (perhaps a year) but it would be preferable long term. I was hoping to limp along on this motor for a while otherwise knowing it was eventually toast.

* For those who are curious, the engine spits oil out the back on startup until it is warm. Once warm, a drip here and there at most. Seems like it's either an old reused seal, the wrong seal, a worn crank or some combination of the three. I can't help but think I bought an SR-71 blackbird... :icon_winkle:

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done it , not bad to do , make sure you lift the oil pump drive so it doesn't snap off

Back