• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear sway bar bushing help

Cuda525

Reaction score
9979DFF6-3CF8-42AD-9BDB-69FA665F1534.jpeg
6B424D3F-D3F3-4DEF-BB55-0937DE225F50.jpeg
Working on 1973 Cuda with original rear sway bar want to replace the bar to body bushings and end linkS. What the deal on those bar to body brackets all welded together how do you replace the bushings and who’s a good source for bushings?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
As far as I know, the rear sway bar bushings are not serviceable and OEM replacements are not sold. I have not seen any split-type aftermarket bushings available anywhere either. Classic Industries is now offering a rear sway bar bracket 1970-1974 All Makes All Models Parts | MM8143 | 1970-74 Mopar E-Body Rear Sway Bar Bracket | Classic Industries but there are no pictures so I have no idea what is included. Based on the price, I would say it is just the bracket that mounts to the frame of the car and would have to be welded to the bushing loop.

Adam

Reaction score
https://photos.imageevent.com/adamell/wiperparts/websize/DSC00339.JPG

I had to drill the welds to remove the petrified bushing, but I found generic urethane bushings online for about $20. I added a zerk fitting and drilled a hole through the urethane because I wanted to avoid squeaks. It was an easy matter to weld back together. It works great and was cheap...

Here is a similar item as an example:
Sway Bar Bushings Polyurethane 7/8-inch 1974-1985

Note:this is an example, I only guessed the size at 7/8 (it may be 3/4) because I do not remember the actual size. Now given this example you could tack the brackets onto your sway bar, or discard them and re-use your originals; I would also consider buying un-split bushings and carefully cutting it, because it would be very difficult to force the bushing over the eye...

Last edited:

VANDAN

Reaction score
Just a somewhat related question here, Will the original rear sway bar set-up from a T/A, or AAR fit on a '70 R/T with Dual Exhaust ? I wasn't sure, since they were made to put on with the unique duals on the Road Racers. I put together the complete set for my R/T, but never got around to hanging it, maybe this year...
100_2790.JPG

rklein71

Reaction score
Many non TAA and AAR e-bodies came with a rear sway bar with dual exhaust. My 71 Cuda had one back in high school and I put a rear sway bar on my 71 Barracuda that I have now with full dual exhaust out the rear valance.

IMG_0799.JPG

Back