• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rearend Gears

Mhelle13

Reaction score
What's your guy's recommendation on a good rearend gears for the street? I have a 340 with a 3 speed auto. The motor is fresh, and dynoed a little over 300 hp. It has trouble with fast acceleration (seems like a turd....) could this be something different gears could fix?

Adam

Reaction score
What is the current ratio? if you already have the common 323s an Aftermarket stall converter and valve body will really wake it up.

mmissile

Reaction score
By today's standards, most old, smaller displacement muscle-cars are gonna feel slow. The convertor will make a big difference, also.

Adam

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I currently have. @2500 rpms I'm going 58mph

Jack it up turn the wheel/tire one time/ revolution and count the number of driveshaft turns; 3 1/2 turns would be 3.55s, ect...

You may have to block or hold the non drive wheel if you have an open diff.

AUSTA

Reaction score
What's your guy's recommendation on a good rearend gears for the street? I have a 340 with a 3 speed auto. The motor is fresh, and dynoed a little over 300 hp. It has trouble with fast acceleration (seems like a turd....) could this be something different gears could fix?
sounds like a 3.55 like MMissles
quote you need to get your RPM up and keep it there using a higher stall & maybe holding gears a bit longer using a modified valve body what is the RPM at full accel at take off & when it changes from 1st to second
Also what carby are you running i found some of the holleys not as responsive on my 340 Auto 376 Hp running 780 CFM quickfuel jetted down with E/Q heads

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Google the stamped number on your carb to find out what you have.

moparleo

Reaction score
By the way. Was the engine dyno'd out of the car or in the car ? If it was in the car, who ever did the work should be able to diagnose the problem almost immediately. They will be getting a/f readings at all rpms, hp and torque curves by rpm.

Back