• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rebuilt six pack carbs, now it won't idle

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I was able to disassemble the outboards yesterday and check for flatness. The bodies themselves looked great with ~.001" variance in any given area. However, the mating surface itself looked a bit rough with some pitting. I took a nice flat file and took down the small high spots, then sanded with some 400 grit to smooth out the pits.

The metering plates were warped a bit, each having ~.004-.005" gap on the ends. They were a little more challenging to flatten, but I managed to reduce the maximum gap to .0015". I feel pretty good about that, as I didn't want to take it too far.

I got the new rebuild kit in the mail, and while the gasket patterns are the same as the rebuild kit I used this time, the material itself is very different. It's substantially thicker, and....a little tacky. I feel like they will do a better job. I'll be reassembling the outboards tomorrow and putting them through the bench pressure test. Wish me luck!

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Okay, I THINK I figured it out. Failed another pressure test, so I looked carefully at where the gas was coming out, and it was coming purely from the transition slots. Took the carb apart and looked over the transition circuit, and found that two corners weren't being covered by the gasket. I'm going to try to find a different gasket and see if that solves the problem.

fullsizeoutput_a98.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aa4.jpeg

Mastertech

Reaction score
Definitely the wrong gasket. The correct one is exactly the same shape as the steel plate.
IMG_3344.JPG

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Yep!! Found the right gasket. For anyone who might have the same issue in the future, the secondary gasket for the Holley 4160 worked. Part number 108-27-2. Bench test passed with no leaks, engine lit off on the first click. Thanks everyone for your help!!

fasjac

Reaction score
The kit came with the gaskets as advertised, but for some reason I have different metering plates.
You may try Dons Hot Rods in Tucson. I think they are about 20 miles from you. Just a thought if it’s a time sensitive deal.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You may try Dons Hot Rods in Tucson. I think they are about 20 miles from you. Just a thought if it’s a time sensitive deal.
Yes, I go there all the time. Don’s is a great speed shop. I already found the correct gaskets there and the carbs are installed and running great.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Bingo! That’s it! My engine is a ‘69, and it think that confirms the carbs are original to the engine. At least that’s one more clue that they are.

fasjac

Reaction score
Yes, I go there all the time. Don’s is a great speed shop. I already found the correct gaskets there and the carbs are installed and running great.
That’s great! I’ve been there a while ago and seemed like that could be a solution. Glad you got er going.

Back