• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replacing starter

70challengerRT/SE

Reaction score
Attempting to replace the starter on my 70 challenger. Have the starter loose, but what all is necessary to remove to get it outta there? Thanks

rwfid

Reaction score
My dad cut a hole in the fender well of his Challenger to take out the starter because it was about impossible to remove with the headers in the way. I don't recommend it, just pointing out how difficult it may be to replace.

moparleo

Reaction score
Since you haven't responded whether you have headers or not, I will assume that you do, since I can see no other reason for your difficulty. I will also assume you are doing this on the ground. Block the rear tires. Raise front end with a floor jack preferably, install jack stands and release some pressure from the jack to seat the stands. Loosen the header flange and have a friend move the header while you remove the starter from below. Have a camera ? Pictures please.

70challengerRT/SE

Reaction score
Sorry guys. Was at work all day then straight to the car. Yes it has headers. I took that side loose and eventually with the right movement of the header and starter at the same time I got it out. Having a blast putting the new one in. Done for the night. By the way engine size is a 383. No alterations to anything. Thanks guys

70challengerRT/SE

Reaction score
On the other hand moparleo, I had to laugh at your initial instructions. Car was already on jack stands etc..... and starter was already loose. All common sense stuff done. Just wondered if header was all I needed to take loose or if there was a simpler way to get it out and on the ground.

moparleo

Reaction score
It was not meant to be funny. Many people are injured and killed every year because they didn't follow common sense safety practices. I hope that I might keep someone from needlessly getting hurt because they didn't know the safe way to jack up a car and properly use jack stands and wheel chocks.

I could say that I think it is funny that you don't know how to replace your starter, but I won't. Everybody has to learn the first time.

Last edited:
Back