• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB Scam alert. Do not send money with paypal friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTSE70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Beware recent scam activity related to parts wanted post.

I received a PM from a member that someone had the part that I’m looking for, with the following contact info and paypal ID. Member Smithson67 had recently joined and is now gone along with any record of his PM to me.

They requested, and I sent, payment with paypal friends to:

304-915-6869

Ms. Singer

Paypal ID: Jimmy Songer

[email protected]

They asked for additional money, above the agreed price before they would ship. After I refused, didn’t hear from them again.

Paypal will not help with fraud if the payment was send via friends (they do not get their 5% fee).

I will not be using paypal friends again.

Last edited:

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, it sounds like you have been scammed for sure. That is the problem with F & F. You have zero protection against being scammed. Have you tried contacting PayPal to see if they can do anything for you?

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d consider F & F if it’s a long time member, can be checked out with references, and I see a history of successful sales. You really have to be careful, a recent member is a red flag. Do postal/bank money orders offer protection? I haven’t used one in decades.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do postal/bank money orders offer protection?
Last time I received a postal money order, I took it to the post office. When I was cashing it out, the guy asked me if I trusted this seller. He went on to say that postal money orders are being counterfeited.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that scam like that make it hard on us who are honest. I do a lot of side business this way with PayPal. I guess my track record means something but People that do this have a special place where it is always hot.
Sorry you had this happen to you. If they are close to me in Virginia I'll knock on their door if you want.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I offer to pay the 5% fee if I am the buyer.
You’re generous, I offer 4% because the fee on my sales have always been just below that. I don’t know if that’s recently become a victim of inflation too though.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RTSE70 , what was the part you needed? If we know what part(s) they're saying they have and are using it to scam people, it may help someone else avoid the issue. Thanks for the heads up.
Terry W.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad to see this happening. Buying from new members with no history is a risk. I was once a new member, and started selling some items, so how can you be sure?
I would say content of their posts.
But I only want to sell via F+F to avoid the 1099 from the irs, which is supposed to start this year. Getting 4-5% more to cover PayPal fees means nothing compared to getting a 20% tax bill on a $100 sale. Then we might as well get double and put it on flea bay.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware recent scam activity related to parts wanted post.

I received a PM from a member that someone had the part that I’m looking for, with the following contact info and paypal ID. Member Smithson67 had recently joined and is now gone along with any record of his PM to me.

They requested, and I sent, payment with paypal friends to:

304-915-6869

Ms. Singer

Paypal ID: Jimmy Songer

JimsonTraveler

They asked for additional money, above the agreed price before they would ship. After I refused, didn’t hear from them again.

Paypal will not help with fraud if the payment was send via friends (they do not get their 5% fee).

I will not be using paypal friends again.
Never use F&F unless you know the seller. Please read this. It is a sticky on the the Website suggestions forums.
If you see suspicious activity here, Hit the REPORT BUTTON found at the bottom of every page and PM.

RTSE70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RTSE70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that scam like that make it hard on us who are honest. I do a lot of side business this way with PayPal. I guess my track record means something but People that do this have a special place where it is always hot.
Sorry you had this happen to you. If they are close to me in Virginia I'll knock on their door if you want.
Area code is West Virginia but these days that doesn't mean much, but thanks.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried that button but as soon as I entered that I had used friends, they said too bad.
The report button here doesn't say that.
1710596958915.png

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smithson67 has been eliminated from the site. someone must have reported him. See the line through his name?
1710597142354.png

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with paying an extra 4-5% to use standard Paypal and not F&F. If the seller refuses, something is wrong....not worth getting ripped off.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paying through Pay Pal and using F&F and having no insurance is one thing. THe bottom line here is that he got taken by a scammer that could have been prevented if he had paid attention to the warning signs and just reported the issue. Like I have said on the warning posts, If you see something you might think is suspicious, hit the report button.

440WB

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Paying through Pay Pal and using F&F and having no insurance is one thing. THe bottom line here is that he got taken by a scammer that could have been prevented if he had paid attention to the warning signs and just reported the issue. Like I have said on the warning posts, If you see something you might think is suspicious, hit the report button.

Not good - sorry to hear you got burned.

I never use F & F - I ask the buyer to include if Im not making a profit. The small fee is part of the business. I reported couple thousand last year for sales = was only a small fee added to your income.
( NOT 20% like everyone seems to fear )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back