• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Side view mirror installation

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Chally Mirror.jpg

73 Chally: I can not find any videos or anything in the parts manual on how to install the side view mirrors. I have the mirror, the gasket, the screws, that's easy. The plate that goes under the door skin is the real problem. How in the world can you align that to capture the two screws as there is barely finger room to adjust? There are two other holes that look like they may hold this plate in place as you tighten up the mirror screws, but I got nothing to go by for guidance. These were already removed before I bought the car. Any help/suggestions welcome - thanks.Chally Door.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I believe tht is a B body mirror , the base looks wrong for E body , the Ebody usually uses rivnuts & the screws thread into those

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I believe tht is a B body mirror , the base looks wrong for E body , the Ebody usually uses rivnuts & the screws thread into those
Well, these might be B body mirrors, but since the holes all align, they are now painted to match, that's what is going on. I'll figure a way to secure the backing plates in place to facilitate the installation some how. I see that Classic Industries notes the same part number for 71-72 B body and 71-74 E body, but something different for 73-74 B bodies. The previous owner may have installed the wrong ones. Thanks for your response.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can install rivnuts which is a threaded pop rivit & then just screw down the mirrors from the outside

SFEbody

Reaction score
John, as Chryco said, Rivnuts, you can buy a kit with the tool from Amazon for ...I bought one and it is so easy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.23.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.23.09 AM.png
    303 KB · Views: 90

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
John, as Chryco said, Rivnuts, you can buy a kit with the tool from Amazon for ...I bought one and it is so easy.
Okay, that's cool. So, does the Rivnut option still use the backing plate or does the mirror depend on all support from the door skin at these two points? Seems flimsy to me?

terrywalker

Reaction score
Is that a Rivnut installed just forward of the oval cutout in door skin photo?
Terry W.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Is that a Rivnut installed just forward of the oval cutout in door skin photo?
Terry W.
Yes it is. There is only one on the passenger side also. But the mirror screws align with the two small outboard holes, both sides, not where the Rivnut(s) are located. I think Chryco is correct. This car had original side mirrors on it and were replaced with these current ones. Since these are not original, that may be why when replaced, someone put on the backing plates.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Backing plates were used on B bodies not on E bodies both had a gasket outside under the mirror .
Yes there is a rivnut at the front in the picture .

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Backing plates were used on B bodies not on E bodies both had a gasket outside under the mirror .
I have the gaskets that fits these mirrors. I think I'm good. Maybe the B body mirrors were heavier than the E body ones and that warrented the baking plate? The vinyl top is going on Saturday, so I'll post pic's of that and the mirrors installed.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Funny Thing, Just the other day Monday. My angel 😇was helping me put the vinyl top on. As we were both pulling on the passenger side.she was at the front. And the mirror went flying onto the car. AUGHHH !! 😠😤🤬:mad:🤯😬😇How do you express you frustration. Not very much! I didn't realize😇 she was up against the mirror! No real damage.She is the best.SO you might just want to hold off on installing any protruding objects that might be in the way.

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Funny Thing, Just the other day Monday. My angel 😇was helping me put the vinyl top on. As we were both pulling on the passenger side.she was at the front. And the mirror went flying onto the car. AUGHHH !! 😠😤🤬:mad:🤯😬😇How do you express you frustration. Not very much! I didn't realize😇 she was up against the mirror! No real damage.She is the best.SO you might just want to hold off on installing any protruding objects that might be in the way.
Outstanding idea! Dude, that sucks about your mirror.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Just have to say, I am constantly amazed by the detail knowledge some of the members of these forums have. You guys are the cat's meow!

Cuda 440-6

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Angelm59 except with a '74 Cuda. I've finished all of the body work and paint, including adding new door skins. The new skins didn't have mirror mounting screw holes, or the drivers side remote hole pre-drilled. Does anybody know the measurements to mount both sides mirrors in the correct positions?

cuda joe

Reaction score
how i aligned the backing plate ..with out mirror threaded one screw in moved it to thread in other screw then drilled 2 holes and pop riveted so they are covered by mirror

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Angelm59 except with a '74 Cuda. I've finished all of the body work and paint, including adding new door skins. The new skins didn't have mirror mounting screw holes, or the drivers side remote hole pre-drilled. Does anybody know the measurements to mount both sides mirrors in the correct positions?
I have a Chally so I assume the dim's are different for a Cuda.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
how i aligned the backing plate ..with out mirror threaded one screw in moved it to thread in other screw then drilled 2 holes and pop riveted so they are covered by mirror
Nice idea. I like it and will give it a shot. Thanks.

Back