• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SR20DET swap?

AlexL

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a '70 Challenger R/T and I'm planning on swapping in an SR20DET from a JDM Nissan Silvia. For those who aren't familiar, it's a 2-liter aluminum block turbo motor. Properly built, it should take a huge chunk of weight off the car and still make decent power.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? It looks like I'll just need to build a new oil pan and modify the pickup tube, and make some engine and transmission mounts. Might need to make some sort of shift linkage, too.

While I'm at it, does anyone make a good 4-link suspension setup for the E-Body?

ramenth

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a '70 Challenger R/T and I'm planning on swapping in an SR20DET from a JDM Nissan Silvia. For those who aren't familiar, it's a 2-liter aluminum block turbo motor. Properly built, it should take a huge chunk of weight off the car and still make decent power.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? It looks like I'll just need to build a new oil pan and modify the pickup tube, and make some engine and transmission mounts. Might need to make some sort of shift linkage, too.

While I'm at it, does anyone make a good 4-link suspension setup for the E-Body?

Alex, first of all, welcome aboard.

Second of all, I'd like to take the time to say for the most part you're opening a can of worms in asking for help in dropping a Nissan motor into a Mopar, especially a car like a Challenger R/T. Sorry to say, bud, but it's true. Besides being E-body fans most of the folks on here are Mopar fans and what you're suggesting is sacrilege to most (especially doing this swap with an R/T).

As one of your friendly neighborhoods mods I'll do my best to keep the dogs at bay if they start barking.

moparleo

Reaction score
:naka:please ! If it is a genuine R/T please ! sell it before you destroy it.
Buy a Ford or Chevy if you want to make a Franenstein monster. Or maybe a Sentra or Civic.....:nono::thatswck::stop::stop::stop::violent1:

Last edited:

cudaRB

Reaction score
Hi,
I know I'm getting old, but I had to put my glasses on and read your post three times to make sure I really saw what you posted Nissan parts in a MOPAR, not in my world think you entered the wrong site, leave the nissans where they belong, on the start line.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hey Alex, Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Although I do admire your creativity I do beg of you to choose a different car to do it to. I would be less apposed to this if you were not going to make any mods to the car that would be considered permanent. This is definitely one of those things that you keep to yourself, for example, if your sexual preferance is one that is different from mine, I would just as soon you kept to yourself what you do behind closed doors.
If you absolutely have to do this, maybe you would give one of us the opportunity to find you a less desireable non R/T or maybe a later model born with a /6 or 318.

AlexL

Reaction score
I'm definitely not trying to destroy anything here, just trying to make an already awesome car a little better. I won't be hacking up the body or modifying subframes, just fabricating parts to mount the motor in the chassis. I bought the car without a motor or tranny, and I think we can all agree that a Challenger with an engine is better than one without.

The Challenger is one of my favorite cars ever. I just think that taking 300-400 pounds off the nose of the car will make it perform better in almost every way. I'll be doing it all tastefully. No giant wheels or gaudy paint, just more power and less weight.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I think your going to find your in uncharted territory with that swap. Though if you search around you may find other import swaps that have been done to vintage cars.

E body is a little on the heavy side for a 2.0L. One thing to consider would be to sell the E and buy an A body. Lighter car that may work better plus they cost a lot less so you will have money left over for your build.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
assuming you go ahead with this I am sure it can be done but will require a ton of fabrication to do it right , mounts headers, oil pan etc will all have to be fabricated , I am sure nithing will be a bolt in .
Not sure how you will remove 300-400 lbs , the new all alum Hemis only weigh about 400 so your engine would need to be 30 lbs or so .You may want to seriously consider bolting a new Hemi as cost wise you may find it compedative by the time you fabricate everything you need .

ramenth

Reaction score
assuming you go ahead with this I am sure it can be done but will require a ton of fabrication to do it right , mounts headers, oil pan etc will all have to be fabricated , I am sure nithing will be a bolt in .
Not sure how you will remove 300-400 lbs , the new all alum Hemis only weigh about 400 so your engine would need to be 30 lbs or so .You may want to seriously consider bolting a new Hemi as cost wise you may find it compedative by the time you fabricate everything you need .

Yup. The only drawback to that would be the cost of the block to start with. But then, to put out the horsepower that the Hemi (or RB version) can make through the 4-banger the cost of the block is covered. One of the reasons I'm saving and going with the new MP/World Products aluminum block. All the for approximate weight of a fully assembled slant.

Which brings up another idea as a way to go: aluminum slant blocks are out there. Just have to hunt for 'em.

Alex, you seem to be concerned with weight on the nose. You wanting to go carve up some road courses? Imagine an aluminum slant with a hair dryer attached. That long stroke would give you the torque needed to pull through the curves and exit them without having to be in the boost the whole time. Bolt on a Passon 5 speed and you're golden.

Now, another thing to consider, since you're concerned about weight on the nose, is the balance of the car. You can actually shed too much weight. Too much weight on the nose you and have a tendency to plow through the curves. Not enough and you'll overdrive the ass end, necessitating slowing enough on entry as if you were going to plow. Neither one is conducive to a clean entry and maximum speed through the curve.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Do you feel you need to go any faster on a road course then say a race prepped small block T/A did back in the day??

AlexL

Reaction score
The weight estimate was based on a stock big block. My engine weighs 450 lbs complete with transmission, turbo, and all accessories.

The nice thing about this project is that I already have most of what I need. The engine is from my old drift car that I wrecked, and I got the Challenger rolling chassis for free from my boyfriend's dad. Most of the other things I'll need, I can fabricate easily enough. Other engine options might be easier, but probably outside my budget.

moper

Reaction score
I dont think it's going to be as nice as you think. How heavy was the car your wrecked? If you can save the weight that's great. But a 4cyl turbo has no torque, and it's torque that gets it moving and accelerates it. I have a friend who has migrated through the years from old cars to newer, Fords, to Nissans, to Subarus. He had a Sentra SER with a Jspec head, big turbo, etc. It dyno'd over 500hp, but it only made 400tq and it made it at 6K rpm. I think honestly it will be a horrendous turd even with the light nose. A supra turbo driveline might be better. But 4 cylinders just wont get it rolling. At least not easilly.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I dont think it's going to be as nice as you think. How heavy was the car your wrecked? If you can save the weight that's great. But a 4cyl turbo has no torque, and it's torque that gets it moving and accelerates it. I have a friend who has migrated through the years from old cars to newer, Fords, to Nissans, to Subarus. He had a Sentra SER with a Jspec head, big turbo, etc. It dyno'd over 500hp, but it only made 400tq and it made it at 6K rpm. I think honestly it will be a horrendous turd even with the light nose. A supra turbo driveline might be better. But 4 cylinders just wont get it rolling. At least not easilly.

Good point, I hadn't thought about the torque or lack of.

Back