• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering binding issue

Fire24

Reaction score
I have a 73 Barracuda with power steering. When driving and making right hand turns the steering binds up when turning back to straight. I can't seem to find the issue. All of the joints are tight. There are no rubbing issues. If I jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand I feel nothing that would cause it. This is driving me nuts any advise where to look next? Thanks.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I know that caster effects the self centring ability (after the turn your steering wheel tends to return to centre by itself) is this what you mean or is if physically binding?

AUSTA

Reaction score
It sounds like the hydraulic control valve on top of the steering box may not be centred
when not set right the steering will turn 1 way easier then the other

Fire24

Reaction score
The grease fitting makes the most sense I will have to check that tonight. It only does it randomly, while driving last night it did it on one of the 10 turns I made. Thanks for the help.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You may have to check it while it is on the ground rather then on a jack because parts will change position when the car is on the jack and you will get clearance between parts that will rub when it is on the ground.

Fire24

Reaction score
Thank for the help I finally figured it out. It was the headers touching the steering joint off of the column.

Back