• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Loose Front End

Big AL

Reaction score
Hello everyone I don't know if it's me or if some of you feel the same way
seems that while driving my 70 R/T I feel like the front end is loose like when
she hits a bump on the road she jerks to the side ! or when driving straight on
a flat road I let go of the steering wheel and she'll slowly pull to the right everything
seems in good shape in the front just installed front KYB Gas- A-Just Shocks !
Is there anything I can do to the Suspension to get that tight feel of the Road
Any suggestions will be Appreciated... Big AL.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Two things will improve handling. Maximize caster and lower steering gear ratio. Should pull to the right if the road is crowned. Do check all the steering and suspension bushings, though.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I assume you are running radial tires so the alignment from the factory is waaay off .
You need to max the caster , run about 1/2-1* of negative camber & 1/16" of toe in so it steers properly .
Second the last shocks I would use is KYB they are the worst they are just too hard to keep the tire in contact with the road , I would suggest QA1 or Bilstein .

cuda joe

Reaction score
cheak for worn steering componets first they sell upper control arms that will increase caster that will make a big differense. a cheaper way. i installed some offset upper control arm bushings on the original a arms got the caster up to 4 deg postive world of difference

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
All above stated is good info. Help someone sort out the same problem. In short the steering box mount where loose. I would start with getting the front end up. check all steering linkage and suspension with bar and hammer. pry and bump to see what might be wore or loose. Check all mounting structures points.don't forget wheel bearings and wheels. I don't think you have to look at frame and rear axle.Yet. In short if it's skating on the road it's alignment.jumping would be component failure.

Big AL

Reaction score
Finally I'm going to put some Decent Front Shock on my 70 R/T
Thanks Chryco Psycho.

QA1 TS501 Shock Absorber
1663736506651.png

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hello everyone I don't know if it's me or if some of you feel the same way
seems that while driving my 70 R/T I feel like the front end is loose like when
she hits a bump on the road she jerks to the side ! or when driving straight on
a flat road I let go of the steering wheel and she'll slowly pull to the right everything
seems in good shape in the front just installed front KYB Gas- A-Just Shocks !
Is there anything I can do to the Suspension to get that tight feel of the Road
Any suggestions will be Appreciated... Big AL.
I had a problem like that once and iit turned out to be the front torsion bar adjustment i set the car flat went to left pushed down hard and let go did the same on the other one side bounced nice and stopped. Other side barley bounced like bottomed out i raised that side and gave it 3 or 4 complete clockwise turns let it down was better drove it came back 2 more turns perfect i can now go down either a bumpy or smooth road can let go. It stays straight now

moparleo

Reaction score
OK Big Al, lets get some more info.
Have you had this car for a while or is it new to you ? Reason ? Your experience with this car. Has the car vever felt/handled correctly ?
If so were there any recent repairs, parts replacements to trigger these issues ? New tires/wheels, recent rotation brake service parts changes other than shocks (they don't cause issues like this).
You can't diagnose a fix without knowing details of the cars condition. Otherwise everyone is just throwing darts at it.
People, this is a constant on these sites. The OP will say he has an issue with his car and then only gives us 5% of the info needed to really know what his problem is.
Imagine going into surgery and the surgeon only knows that something is wrong somewhere, but doesn't know what or where to cut.
The more info he has, the more likely you will survive, and the actual problem will be fixed.

Big AL

Reaction score
OK Big Al, lets get some more info.
Have you had this car for a while or is it new to you ? Reason ? Your experience with this car. Has the car vever felt/handled correctly ?
If so were there any recent repairs, parts replacements to trigger these issues ? New tires/wheels, recent rotation brake service parts changes other than shocks (they don't cause issues like this).
You can't diagnose a fix without knowing details of the cars condition. Otherwise everyone is just throwing darts at it.
People, this is a constant on these sites. The OP will say he has an issue with his car and then only gives us 5% of the info needed to really know what his problem is.
Imagine going into surgery and the surgeon only knows that something is wrong somewhere, but doesn't know what or where to cut.
The more info he has, the more likely you will survive, and the actual problem will be fixed.
It's been like that since I purchased it about 5 years ago and I've put new staggered wheels and tire's new Exhaust new Shocks all around With QA1 in front and Air shocks in rear just to level the Stance, It just feels soft, On my 03 Mach 1 it felt tight and on my 73 Stingray it felt tight too ! I don't know whether to go with Coil overs or any ideas from the Members.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Big AL If you are to big find are make a friend that's small enough to stuff under there and take a look.Everyone can keep shotgunning it. Need to zero in and find the problem. Ball joint move and shift when bad. Bad shocks don't keep the tires on the road. They knock and rattle when they loose pressure. Just my 2 ¢ and experience.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Big Al, you'd be surprised how much movement is in the actual k-frame mount for the steering box! Like Challenger RTA suggests, looking to see where the play is could be a big factor. Mopar steering is over assisted from the factory, but when everything is right, they handle exceptionally well - especially compared to other makes from the same time period.

cuda joe

Reaction score
cheak to see if any thing is worn or loose first... .these cars don;t handle like new caes do...to fix the steering box from twisting the k frame i installed a sector shaft brace. also quick ratio pitman and idler arms and get the caster up to 4 deg. positive with offset bushings or tubular upper control arms

cuda joe

Reaction score
you biggest bang for you buck is to get the caster up maybe think about doing ball joints tie rods and bushings alot of people go with c body tie rods or solid tie rod turn buckles

moparleo

Reaction score
The reason that I asked those questions was based on what you said.
The best way ,always is to thoroughly inspect the suspension.
The car darting to one side when hitting a bump is usually caused by a phenomena called "bump steer". This caused by one of the tires pointing out excessively when the suspension goes through a compression/rebound cycle.
It could be as simple as the tie rods not being adjusted to equal length on both side. It could be more.
Chrysler products of the past were problematic with extreme oversteer/touchiness on power steering. No road feel just floating all over.
The car drifting to the right could be normal for a car that was aligned with city streets in mind. Most city streets have a "crown" to the road for drainage to the right.The caster is adjusted to compensate for this by adjusting it to want to drift slightly left to keep the car tracking straight. On a flat road the car would then want to drift left, but if it was aligned to be neutral on a flat hi-way type road, it would drift right on any road with a "crown" to it.
But you said you only replaced the wheels/tires and shocks. No alignment adjustments. Ride height changes affect camber and toe settings if an alignment is not none after raising/lowering the suspension with torsion bar adjustments.
Before contemplating component changes, I would have the suspension completely inspected by a respected alignment/front end shop.
They should have the experience and proper tools to give you a comprehensive report on your suspension.
Remember that the internet is full of information. You just need to do a few searches.
There is no substitute for experience though and that is why it would be good to have a professional shop do a complete inspection
It will cost a few dollars for their time, but can save many more dollars and frustration than just trying this and that hoping to get lucky.
Doing your research first would help you to understand what they will tell you.

Last edited:

Big AL

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input.... Made an appointment at a shop that's close to me
that was recommended by a few guy's from our Car Club which is The Worth Cruiser's Car Club of Illinois....Again Thanks Guy's.

Back