• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column too long for gear box.

BillJ

Reaction score
I understand, sometimes the fab work can be the hardest. You are on the right track though.
If you will measure back on the original steering shaft you will cut that joint completely out leaving the round portion of the shaft that will be an exact fit to the Borgeson coupler.

You will love the Borgeson gear. It drives so much better that the OE unit plus there is tons more room for headers which is a big plus on Ebodys! Good luck to you on your build!! :)
Thank you so much. Your help and the help from the rest of the folks has been invaluable. Now that I really understand what happened I can proceed. It was heminut that identified that my steering shaft had been lengthened, obviously going from Power Steering to Manual Steering. Cody in his video states the Power Steering shaft is 40.75" and the Manual one is 43.125" Is that from the very end to the very end? I am trying to find out if the Borgeson coupling 036425 can fit. I am looking for the distance the spline end and the smooth end go in the coupling. If there is not enough room for it, there is a smaller coupling but I would have to have the welder weld it to the end of the 3/4" smooth shaft. I could have it positioned in the car and ready for him.

That was alot of detail but I guess my question is: Is this going to be an inferior way to go? -- or should I just bite the bullet and buy the column from Flaming River that people seem to talk about or see if Cody can install the proper shaft if he has one?

Xcudame

Reaction score
My 2¢: From a safety aspect (think frontal crash) I'd go with a correct used factory steering shaft. Second choice would be the Flaming River shaft. I think the Flaming River columns use different wiring (GM?). Third choice is making what you have work, but it requires more fabrication and the collapsibility appears to be gone.

BillJ

Reaction score
My 2¢: From a safety aspect (think frontal crash) I'd go with a correct used factory steering shaft. Second choice would be the Flaming River shaft. I think the Flaming River columns use different wiring (GM?). Third choice is making what you have work, but it requires more fabrication and the collapsibility appears to be gone.
Thank you. I will have to contact that guy Cody but his video made it look challenging digging around behind the horn button... I think I would have to have him do it so there is shipping 2X.
There are some guys at a shop in CA called Motech but I would have to take the steering out of the car.

BillJ

Reaction score
Thank you... I forgot about ebay. I usually stay away from stuff with shipping. But I'll have check there also. In this case I need the power steering one though.

BillJ

Reaction score
The plus side to all this is get a tilt column. 🤔
I don't know where I was but I was in a Cadillac dealership looking at a Cadillac. I was sitting in it and the salesman told me "This car has a tilt steering wheel for more head room" and continued his spiel without missing a beat. That was probably 35 years ago and I haven't forgotten it.

heminut

Reaction score
I don't know where I was but I was in a Cadillac dealership looking at a Cadillac. I was sitting in it and the salesman told me "This car has a tilt steering wheel for more head room" and continued his spiel without missing a beat. That was probably 35 years ago and I haven't forgotten it.
That guy probably went on to become a politician! :rofl:

Rons340

Reaction score
Not so! The collapsibility of the column stays in tact when you use the Borgeson joint as prescribed. The cut is made below the teflon pins and keeps the safety feature of the column shaft in tact. It only takes about 3 inches off of the shaft end.

I would in no way recommend altering any safety feature built in the car. That would not be good advice.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Rons340, on BillJ's steering column, someone welded some kind of sleeve onto the original steering shaft. He's is no longer collapsible. That's my point.

heminut

Reaction score
Not so! The collapsibility of the column stays in tact when you use the Borgeson joint as prescribed. The cut is made below the teflon pins and keeps the safety feature of the column shaft in tact. It only takes about 3 inches off of the shaft end.

I would in no way recommend altering any safety feature built in the car. That would not be good advice.
If you had read the entire thread and then looked at this statement, "Third choice is making what you have work, but it requires more fabrication and the collapsibility appears to be gone." you would understand that your statement has nothing to do with the OP's situation. His column has been welded up solid!

Rons340

Reaction score
If you had read the entire thread and then looked at this statement, "Third choice is making what you have work, but it requires more fabrication and the collapsibility appears to be gone." you would understand that your statement has nothing to do with the OP's situation. His column has been welded up solid!
BTW I did read the entire thread. Sometimes it's difficult to tell who is commenting on what. My apologies!🙂

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just want to point out. The sliding portion is up inside the column. At first glance. The picture I posted my be the colpert of confusion. The shaft is flipped compared to the tube.

20240425_151544.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
Just want to point out. The sliding portion is up inside the column. At first glance. The picture I posted my be the colpert of confusion. The shaft is flipped compared to the tube.
You are correct, but the OP's shaft definitely has another tube slipped over the original sliding portion and welded into place. You can see it in his picture in post #3. It doesn't appear to be over the sliding part of the shaft, but who knows what kind of shenanigans are going on with that shaft up inside where we can't see. I wouldn't be surprised if the sliding joint was also welded.

Last edited:
Back