• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stenciled numbers on the differential 10 22

340challconvert

Reaction score
Would the 1022 stenciled numbers on the differential stand for October 22?
The SBD as well as other original parts span from the first week of October 1969 through about the 3rd week of that month.
Dino2 (1).gif

10-22 on differential .jpg

senoia

Reaction score
I read in the MMC book it's the 10 month and 22 day. I found the info on line on CC

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hey Senoia
The MMC reference books are great. Very expensive, so I do not own any. But they have some information on their web site.
I do know that white (3:55) w orange (sure grip) indicates a 3:55 sure grip 8 3/4.
I had a chart that someone made up that I am looking for that itemizes the stripe colors as indicators of the type of gear ratios and whether sure grip or not.
The stenciled numbers looked like a date code, so thank you for responding.
Dino2 (1).gif

Grady Cain

Reaction score
20170930_100649.jpg
20170930_100715.jpg

The stenciled number 1022 on the 3rd member is the assembly date of the 3rd member. The number stenciled in yellow on the left axle tube corresponds with the number on your build sheet and should be the last 3 digits of the part number. I attached the chart referencing the correct color(s) identification marks as well as the chart for which number should be on the front face of the left axle tube from my MMC Detroit book. An 8 3/4 rear with 3.55 gears can have 1,2 or 3 white stripes depending on pinion stem size and u-joint flange part number. An orange stripe would then be added to those to denote sure-grip. There are lots of errors in these books so read carefully as I have found contradictory information a few sentences away from each other. The highlighted areas in the photos are just personal references. Hope this helps...

Back