• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stock radiator hose fitment after engine and radiator swap - looking for alternatives

Reaction score
After engine upgrade (built 340 with aftermarket water pump and radiator) the lower hose will not fit. It now has a Griffin radiator (2 row) and Milodon water pump. Visually the radiator looks about the same thickness as the original (with some trimming we were even able to fit on the fan shrowd). However upon installation we found that the lower hose was too long and the bottom elbow hit the k-frame. So we started trimming. we shortened the part before that lower elbow so that we were just able to push it on and not have it hit (I think that was about an inch cut off). However, it still was a little too long at the water pump end so we cut it a little there too. The result was that it was now too close to the fan belt. I suppose some people go with an electric fan but we want this to still look a little original - the new engine is dressed to look like the original 340).
Has anyone ever had this problem? Should we try a flex hose? I have never used a flex hose and am skeptical about quality. However, we must have a secure fitting lower hose (we cannot put our new engine at risk). I will post a photo if I find one.
thanks, Rebecca

Reaction score
Here is a photo showing the problem.

Attachments

• cuda_fan.jpg
    cuda_fan.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 236

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done this many times on custom builds , you can compare the hose you trimmed , mark the area where it is too close to the fan belt & either go through a hose catalog to find a similar hose that might clear or look at the hoses for for a similar hose that might clear ..
The other option is to use a steel elbow of similar diameter & use a coupler hose at each end .

Reaction score
I have done this many times on custom builds , you can compare the hose you trimmed , mark the area where it is too close to the fan belt & either go through a hose catalog to find a similar hose that might clear or look at the hoses for for a similar hose that might clear ..
The other option is to use a steel elbow of similar diameter & use a coupler hose at each end .
Thanks we are in the progress of going this. I was curious about two specific things. Did anyone have exactly the same issue (I can hardly see now how the original hose could even have been a good fit). Second question: Are flex hoses any good or a hack? thanks. Rebecca

Steve340

Reaction score
I had that issue in your picture on a 72 Cuda that belonged to a friend.
The hose was fitted the wrong way around. Try swapping end for end.
A new hose not the cut one.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Flex hoses are OK as a last option , I would try to do it the way I suggested first though .

Montclaire

Reaction score
If you have a friendly parts counter person, you could bend up a coat hanger to the shape you need and go fishing in the hose aisle. Just watch the diameter. You could also try a similar year truck application, sometimes they are longer.

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions. Indeed we are not fitting it backwards. The issue is that the new build is just a little different than stock.
Rebecca

fasjac

Reaction score
If you have a friendly parts counter person, you could bend up a coat hanger to the shape you need and go fishing in the hose aisle. Just watch the diameter. You could also try a similar year truck application, sometimes they are longer.
You said it before I did, which is exactly what I did 20 years ago. Got my shape, bends etc, and asked the local parts store to let me see the hanging hoses. 👊🏻

Back