• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Suggestions for a 727 replacement Automatic

DetMatt1

Reaction score
727 is the best automatic there is, why not just rebuild it? I have a buddy that does mine for me but plenty of guys are successfully doing their own at home with YouTube video assistance. There are several threads on FCBO on the subject. That rotational noise might be a small fragment of clutch material hung up in the pump somewhere. I have one doing the same thing right now in one of my Imperials so I had a spare trans done and it’s ready to go in as soon as I can’t take the noise any longer.

moparleo

Reaction score
numbers matching 904 and you have a totally different suspension and want to do major changes to the 318 ? Way past the matching numbers meaning anything at this point. Just pull the 318 and the 904 and replace both. Start with a 360 $$$$ahead on what it would take to modify a 360 crank to fit a 318 block. The main bearing journals are a larger diameter so the crank would have to be cut down, much cheaper to get a 360 and put a stroker crank kit in.

VillaTA

Reaction score
Is it a whine? A growl? Could be a few things. TC, pump etc.
More of a groan. Sounds like slight abrasive sound. I was worried I had a bearing noise in the motor. Then i put it in neutral and it stopped.

VillaTA

Reaction score
$4,900 for a silver sport trans package. That’s before buying the new drive shaft and whatever else is required. Pricey.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
What miles are on the transmission. Transmission filter changed? Tranny will puke if blockage in filter,lines, radiator,not vented. check valve also sticking will cause a delay.The check valve holds residual pressure in the line for the next start up so there is no delay. whine and growl sound not enough fluid circulating because of blockage or sticky valves.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Long story short. 400' + driveway. 70+ widow neighbor's driveway parallels mine.First year there all I did was shovel snow feet at a time. NEVER AGAIN! (You would't think for a second I wouldn't shovel her's too? I shoveled it for nothing and plowed.) bought a truck with a plow needed a transmission. Replaced transmission,followed salvage yards warranty. By replaced radiator and filter.Showed them the receipt.Used for short time. started acting up.Delay in shifting,not shifting right and slipped made noise. called seller. Owner ask for miles I put on it. Put 100 miles on it plowing. Stayed in the driveway.Owner said change filter that is common for a transmission sitting in a salvage yard and not being driven much.They get vanished up just sitting. He was right! Spring came truck sat. later in that year in the fall.found another truck with a bad trans.150k miles. It was acting like the first truck. SO what do I have to loose. Change the filter,fluid and VOILA it was on the road. It still didn't shift right,made noises,sometimes slipped. At the same time,the first truck sitting since spring was acting up again.changed filter again. Helped but not right. Remember someone I knew had the same issues in a few mini vans. What they used and I tried.They said it takes a little time to work.days or a week? It worked!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IN SNAKE OIL BUT THIS STUFF WORKED FOR ME ALSO!!!!! Seafoam Trans Tune. Both transmissions work perfect to this day. That's just my experience. 46re and others.

Last edited:

VillaTA

Reaction score
I dont know the exact mileage. The motor was rebuilt about 700 miles or so ago. I’ll try the seafoam. Worst that can happen is a rebuild.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
So you don't know when the filter was changed.? fluid smell or look burnt? sometimes when you change the fluid it gets worse. save the fluid,or just replace pan fluid. but change the filter.Replace what you loose. There might be evidence in the pan of trans condition. When I changed the filters in the Dakotas,they did'an't have a drain plug.Advance auto had drain plug that requires drilling a 3/8" hole.I think 3/8"?

Last edited:

VillaTA

Reaction score
Not sure about filter. Last fall I had the local restoration shop work on stopping my leak from the trans. It’s held until recently starting to leak slightly around the pan (I think) again. He didn’t report any issues then. But it has and had the usual TF issues of low pressure at startup and it would puke after driving. Hasnt done the latter in any noticeable amount since being at the shop.

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
I would look at "Florida company" glass closely b4 buying. I have bought their side window kit and it is very poor quality - learned the hard way.
Wavy, looks like the blank was heated and formed on homemade bucks.
Look at ECS for E body glass, correct date coded available

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would look at "Florida company" glass closely b4 buying. I have bought their side window kit and it is very poor quality - learned the hard way.
What did I miss?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
When someone ask me if I'm lost.My response is: I'm not lost I'm just not where I want to be!

VillaTA

Reaction score
Long story short. 400' + driveway. 70+ widow neighbor's driveway parallels mine.First year there all I did was shovel snow feet at a time. NEVER AGAIN! (You would't think for a second I wouldn't shovel her's too? I shoveled it for nothing and plowed.) bought a truck with a plow needed a transmission. Replaced transmission,followed salvage yards warranty. By replaced radiator and filter.Showed them the receipt.Used for short time. started acting up.Delay in shifting,not shifting right and slipped made noise. called seller. Owner ask for miles I put on it. Put 100 miles on it plowing. Stayed in the driveway.Owner said change filter that is common for a transmission sitting in a salvage yard and not being driven much.They get vanished up just sitting. He was right! Spring came truck sat. later in that year in the fall.found another truck with a bad trans.150k miles. It was acting like the first truck. SO what do I have to loose. Change the filter,fluid and VOILA it was on the road. It still didn't shift right,made noises,sometimes slipped. At the same time,the first truck sitting since spring was acting up again.changed filter again. Helped but not right. Remember someone I knew had the same issues in a few mini vans. What they used and I tried.They said it takes a little time to work.days or a week? It worked!!!! I DON'T BELIEVE IN SNAKE OIL BUT THIS STUFF WORKED FOR ME ALSO!!!!! Seafoam Trans Tune. Both transmissions work perfect to this day. That's just my experience. 46re and others.
I assume this is the stuff. I saw one labeled just as “trans tune”. Ordered this and it says “hydra trans tune”. Is it the same?

859FEB5B-0D2E-4685-824B-78E93FCE394A.jpeg

@Challenger RTA

Last edited:

VillaTA

Reaction score
That's it. If I recall instruction read. no need to drain any fluid can be over full. Hope it works for you too!
This says add one pint to trans after warming up. It does say do not exceed manufacturer fluid level. I’m gonna give it a shot!!

RICO

Reaction score
Still considering if I should just replace with an aftermarket 727. Mine feels a bit worn out And I can hear rotational noise when sitting at a light in drive. Stops when I put in neutral. Any ideas what problem that symptom could suggest?
I HAVE A 727 TRANS WITH BELL HOUSING CAME OUT OF383 BUT I HAD IT IN MY HEMI ALSO A CENTER CONSOLE, AND A RALLY HOOD LIKE NEW YOU CAN TEXT ME AND WILL SENT YOU PICTURES--1-909-851-4046 IN CALIF..

Back