• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sure grip or non sure grip?

Luis

Reaction score
2070741 also has 27 below that

Gears read: 800270 323 MS291 5 25 70

Is this sure grip or not? Or how do I tell? It's just the case with the gears.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You'll be able to see the sure grip unit itself adjacent to the ring gear, it'll have visible springs among other things, an open unit will just have a set of spider gears. Google images could be your friend here.

70CUDA4SPEED

Reaction score
Gears are from 1970 so you should find this if it's a Sure-grip, second pic is the older unit Dana Power-lock which one I prefer

Cone suregrip.jpg

Dana Power-lock.jpg

moper

Reaction score
The gear part numbers will not tell you if the chuck was a Sure Grip or not. Gears don't care what they're on.

Luis

Reaction score
The gear part numbers will not tell you if the chuck was a Sure Grip or not. Gears don't care what they're on.
So you are saying if I replace the unit inside the pumpkin into a posi unit I can use those gears to make it a sure grip?

mjb765

Reaction score
So you are saying if I replace the unit inside the pumpkin into a posi unit I can use those gears to make it a sure grip?

Yes.....but inspect those gears carefully before re-using them. Gears are not that much money compared to the sure-grip and everything needs to come apart to replace them. You don't want to do this twice.

moper

Reaction score
x2^^
It's much harder to set up a used set of gears than a new set. I'm not certaint if 3.23s are available for all three cases or not but if it were me I'd get new if at all possible. If not, the guy setting it up should set the pattern off the coast side rather than the drive side.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
If the pinion bearings are in good shape there isn't anything to reset other than backlash. Don't even take the pinion out of the case. Make sure the backlash is the same as it was with the open diff though, so you must measure it before taking it apart.

Sheldon

Back