• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Temp Guage

Cudatx9

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me. My temp gauge is not registering. All the engine compartment wiring is new. The under dash wiring has been check. If I ground the temp guage wire at the engine and turn the ignition to the "on" position, the guage will register. I have install two new sending units and get nothing.

moparleo

Reaction score
Recheck all of the grounds including the main harness block on the firewall. 90% of electrical problems on the old Mopars were ground related. Some times you have to add extra grounds to gauges and lights.

Cudatx9

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that. I just don't understand how the other gauges, oil & fuel, are working just fine.

moparleo

Reaction score
Each gauge has a separate ground. Imagine if the connection to the fuel tank sender was the ground !A gauge only works if there is a complete positive to negative circuit. Electricity on a negative ground circuit goes from the positive , through the sender to the ground to make the complete trip. Check power to the fuel pump sender with a test light.
Here is a short read to help you diagnose gauge problems on your car.:http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/interior/23241_instrument_gauges_repair/viewall.html

Cudatx9

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have tried everything suggested on the website you recommended. I have juice to the sending unit wire. I have check for juice at the gauge itself and have juice there(both points). At this point, I am going to take it for a extended drive this weekend to see what happens.

Cudatx9

Reaction score
I found the problem was that I was putting teflon tape on the sending unit. It was screwing up the ground. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help. Sorry it took so long to get back. I've been away from the computer for a sometime.

Back