• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission Cooler

knahavasu

Reaction score
Have a 72 Cuda automatic transmission and A/C and would like to add a Trans cooler in place of using radiator. Live in Arizona and it gots hot. Thought this would help car run cooler.

Anyone done this? Brand/size location, fan or no fan ??
TIA

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I've run a trans cooler in the past. I had 3,500 stall converter that made some heat. I did not by-pass the radiator though. I installed it on the line that enters the radiator with lines back to a spot on the body above the rear axle tube. No fan. I believe it was made by B&M. I'd also recommend a good multi-core aluminum radiator to keep everything manageable. Try Cold Case.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I installed one decades ago in series with the rad. In 2011 my engine rebuilder reinstalled it BUT bypassed the radiator. At the time he said it’ll help the engine to run cooler. No fan either. When I get some pictures I’ll post them here.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Run it trough the radiator first then through the cooler. Put the cooler low so it doesn't block off part of the radiator.

knahavasu

Reaction score
I installed one decades ago in series with the rad. In 2011 my engine rebuilder reinstalled it BUT bypassed the radiator. At the time he said it’ll help the engine to run cooler. No fan either. When I get some pictures I’ll post them here.
Thanks

Xcudame

Reaction score
The fitting closest to the front of the transmission is the fluid out to the radiator and the one towards the tail housing is the fluid in from the radiator. On the radiator the driver's side is usually the "in" from the transmission and the passenger's side is the "out" to the transmission. I tried to find a good picture but only found this.
7593519-trannyb.JPG

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Drop in temp is hard to button down. Before the 2011 rebuild the motor had 100k miles and no rad shroud and it ran what I’d say ”normal”. Now it runs kind of cool, say 180 unless idling stopped in traffic (border crossing) it creeps up to say 220. I think my rebuilder bypassed the rad for more insurance to protect his work. I’ll get measurements tomorrow but frankly I’d like a bigger one.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I figured it would help if I added color to the cooler lines for the drawings in my files. Transmission Pressure OUTLET in RED and Return INLET in LIGHT BLUE. The Auxiliary Transmission Cooler diagram is the factory routing with ORANGE as the cooler line from the Radiator to the Auxiliary Cooler's INLET.

FYI - "The factory always routed the tranny fluid first through the radiator's oil-to-water cooler, then through the auxiliary oil-to-air unit. You should, too." - Richard Ehrenberg, MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE
Transmission Cooler Lines IN & OUT.jpg

AT Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler.jpg

rogue

Reaction score
not arguing against what others have said about not bypassing the radiator but i've run mine bypassed with no problems. You can always run a deep dish pan such as above and add a temp gauge to know for sure where it's running.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
not arguing against what others have said about not bypassing the radiator but i've run mine bypassed with no problems. You can always run a deep dish pan such as above and add a temp gauge to know for sure where it's running.
Agree. I've had mine bypassed running into an H7B cooler with a 3500 stall converter and no issues. I also ran a TCI deep 727 pan.

Back