• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk hinge torsion bar questions

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hey all, I am trying to repair damage to the trunk lid torsion bar/hinge brackets on a `71 Chally convertible. It is a single bar design and the bracket is missing some metal so I am trying to fab up something to replace the missing metal but I don't know exactly what it looked like before. I made up a piece and tacked it in just now and it is better but the bar still won't hold the weight of the lid all the way open. Might there be a stronger bar for the converts that I am missing?. Also this car has a T/A style spoiler that I am not sure is original as I do not have the broadcast sheet for this car, just fender tag. Maybe the converts were not avaliable with this spoiler and the torsion bar set up is simply not strong enough for the extra weight?. Any input or even pics of other `71 verts hinge/torsion bar set-ups would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

71_deputy

Reaction score
My 71 also had only one bar- got tired of it not staying up as well as the right side was staying up when it was closed.

took the bar out and used a old hatch backs struts and hardware and made it work!!!!!

John Mac

new torsion unit.jpg

torsion-seat mount.jpg

right non-tor side.jpg

left tor-side.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My 71 also had only one bar- got tired of it not staying up as well as the right side was staying up when it was closed.

took the bar out and used a old hatch backs struts and hardware and made it work!!!!!

John Mac
Hey John, thanks for the feedback. So yours isn't a convertible and it still only had 1 torsion bar??. Does your car have a spoiler on it??.
That was an idea bordering on geneous with those struts, nice work.
Matt

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Here is how I handled it for now, but it still needs to be held open with a prop stick. At least now it opens and closes quietly and actually pops open a little with the turn of the key. I guess the future project would be to swap out the bracket on the RH side with one that will allow me to use dual torsion bars. More feedback would be great!!.

IMG_3814_2.JPG

IMG_3812_1.jpg

71_deputy

Reaction score
yep- it has one on it.

the car I got the parts from was a Volkswagen Scirocco-mid eighties hatch back. if none around measure the distance from the back of the seat to where the hinge is( photo) and then the amount when it is closed and go looking at the boneyards to see if something else is there. make sure you get the mounting hardware for it!!! mine was a used set- tried a newer set of strut rods by they where so hard to close the lid! been working great for over 7 years!

John Mac

burdar

Reaction score
1970 used 2 bars. The factory must have tried to cut some cost and went to 1 bar in 71 on Challengers and Cuda's no matter if they were a convert or not. They went back to a 2 bar set-up in 72-74 so they must have had the same problems you are talking about.

There should be four adjustment slots for the bar. I assume you have the bar placed in the slot that gives the most lift on the trunk.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
1970 used 2 bars. The factory must have tried to cut some cost and went to 1 bar in 71 on Challengers and Cuda's no matter if they were a convert or not. They went back to a 2 bar set-up in 72-74 so they must have had the same problems you are talking about.

There should be four adjustment slots for the bar. I assume you have the bar placed in the slot that gives the most lift on the trunk.
yes I have it in the slot to provide the most lift tension.
Thanks for the great info to both of you.

burdar

Reaction score
Is your bar the origonal to the car? I don't know if 71's went to a larger bar since there was only one of them.

How far does the lid stay up now...or does it drop all the way down to the latch?

Does it stay up with the spoiler removed?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Is your bar the origonal to the car? I don't know if 71's went to a larger bar since there was only one of them.

How far does the lid stay up now...or does it drop all the way down to the latch?

Does it stay up with the spoiler removed?
I don't know if it's original or not but it fits as far as the length and profile. When I turn the key it pops up about an inch or so and I did not remove the spoiler to see how it would work without it, mainly because I plan on keeping it, so I need to make it work with the spoiler left on.
Thanks much.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I thought I’d revive this thread.
I know I replaced the single bar that was in this car when my dad bought it in 96. I am now looking for that bar that I removed and I can’t seem to find it in my shop. I did find a pair of bars that look to be a right and a left and have a slightly smaller diameter than the bar that is currently in the car. The one that is currently in the car is 11/32 of an inch while the diameter on the pair are 9/32 of an inch. I do remember acquiring a few in the process of looking for the right one or one that would at least hold the trunk lid open. So my question is is the single bar in 1971 going to be the same profile as the same side bar in 1970?
Could all of you guys with the 71 single bar system measure the diameter of that bar please? And if I could ask could those with the two bar system weather from 1970 or from 1972 and later measure the diameter of one of those bars please?

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
I got 6.6 mm from an original never removed 1970 Cuda with 2 bars, there is a metal tab hanging down under the deck filler panel that wraps around both rods in the middle where they intersect. The two bar set up has a lot of energy if you put them in the stiffest position enough to wack you in the chin if the trunk lid has no spoiler or luggage rack to slow it down. Seems strange how they returned to the 2 bar set up, wouldn't a single thicker bar put more force on the brackets then 2 lighter bars?

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
My 71 Challenger hardtop has a single rod and is 11/32" diameter. No spoiler and works great. It is set in the third adjustment slot from the back of the car.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
@DetMatt1 the single torsion bar is larger. It was a been counter decision. 1 less bar per a few thousand cars adds up. I remember a technical service bulletin about bar breakage. It's probably why the 2 bar set up came back. I had to make one at one time. I used a 73 New Yorker bar. Even though it was from a 2 bar system, the bars were larger due to a heavier trunk lid. It had to be bent at a machine shop. I don't think it is wise to do it on a bench with in a vice.

71 Cuda

Reaction score

Does anyone have a picture for the 71 convertible?

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Here is a 71 compared to the smaller 70 of the same side.
71 is .300"
70 is .260"
The preset twist is slightly different

20231221_084901.jpg

20231221_084937.jpg

20231221_085030.jpg

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
Here's what it is supposed to look like. My '71 vert also failed in this area.

IMG_1586.JPG

Back