• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk Socket - Correct? Yes / No?

Titan1969

Reaction score
Thx in advance. My 73 Cuda was recently restored and the shop installed painless wiring kit. As Im going thorugh each issue with the car and solving them, Im now to the trunk socket.
There are two bulbs listed for the socket...1004 or 1003.

I bought a 1004 and it has two connecttion points on the bulb and it doesnt fit...see pic, howver the socket has only 1 center contact point.

The center of the socket is dead ( perhaps its ground?) while the small metal rim (just outside the center contact point is hot (12v).

Can you tell me do I need bulb #1003 or is the socket wrong?

Also I dont see a trunk lid switch for this socket...should there be one? or is this some sort of level switch thats tripped once trunk lid lifts up?

20210203_164922.jpg

20210203_164908.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Trunk light bulb = 1 terminal socket 1003 should be correct
Light goes on when trunk is opened!

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
The center contact should be your 12V+and the outer shell (the bulb retainer) should be ground, having continuity through the mounting bracket. There's a mercury switch that only allows voltage to the center pin when the socket reaches a few degrees above horizontal. There is no voltage at the center pin with the socket at horizontal (technically, with the switch horizontal).

When you push down on the center contact, it the wire will move out the back of the socket. There will, or should, be tension while you do this since the assembly is spring-loaded to hold the bulb in place. If that seems good, try going the other way: Push the wire into the socket to force the contact assembly out of the bulb end. This might require a pick to fish the disc out. You'll see the contact crimped directly to the wire, a phenolic disc, and a spring. See if the spring is broken or the wire is frayed, allowing the wire to short to the the bulb retainer shell. It's also possible the wire broke at some point and someone just shoved it back into place, allowing it to contact the bulb retainer instead of the center pin, giving you 12V+ at the retainer and nothing at the contact.

I may be full of poop here, since I don't have an E-body trunk lamp handy. However, the above is how it works on a couple of my other Mopars. Good luck.

fasjac

Reaction score
Also, make sure the pink/yellow connector is plugged in by the left inner wheel well. You’ll see the one wire T off from there.

Back