• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

UniSteer rack

AdamR

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Uni-Steer power rack set up ? My main concern is header clearance and steering columns.

The car is a Barracuda with a 440 and I believe the headers are 2" super comps but may be 1-7/8" headers. UniSteer says the rack clears factory manifolds and TTI headers but they are unsure about other headers.

They also dont make mention of what column the kit was designed with. This car is manual steering so it has the longer column. Do I need to swap in a power column ?

AdamR

Reaction score
Just finished installing this thing, It went in pretty easy however theres a few things I didnt like.

1 the hoses for the power steering pump were both to short.

2. The 2 U joints causes a ton of slop in the steering shaft that the bushing in the bottom of the column cant take up. With the factory box the shaft is pretty much held in place. Add the U joints and the shaft can move back and forth, about an inch of play which causes the column to bind up. I heim joint to hold the shaft in place will solve this. I feel it should be included in the kit.

3, They give you a clamp for the column. The instructions show it at the end of the column tube just past the fire wall. I have no idea what its purpose is supposed to be. It does nothing.

4. Headers. Hooker super comps dont fit. They say to use TTIs or stock manifolds. I like the 440 1-7/8" tubed TTIs but the customer wasnt happy to learn he needed to spend another $700+ for headers plus pay me to R&R the old ones.

In all honesty between the coin he spent on the rack, new ball joints, bushings, shocks ect, header and labor he probably could have put in an alter-K-tion set up and have been done with it about a month ago.

Back