• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

voltage to instrument panel lights?

rogue

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is the result of a 50 year old dimmer... seems the most voltage i can get to the instrument panel bulbs is 9v... a fully functional dimmer switch should provide up to the full 12v right?

tonysrt

Reaction score
Dimmer switches on the Ebodies are garbage. I have one with broken metal tabs on it. There is a guy on here that rebuilds them, I can't remember who but if you search it may come up. The one in my car shorts out so out of 3 I have 1 good one. Of course they weren't made to last 50 years.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
I just bypassed mine to get by until I fix it or get another one so I have dash lights!

Attachments

• Dimmer-jumper-picture.png
    Dimmer-jumper-picture.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 170

rogue

Reaction score
thanks all... i'll probably just bypass it for now (good suggestion)... it's definitely not the supply voltage.

tonysrt

Reaction score
The dimmer switches in E bodies are pretty generic, not specific to the E bodies. They were used all across the Mopar line.
What other dimmer can we use if they're generic?

heminut

Reaction score
its not generic, e body only
Uh, NO it's not E body only! Posting missinformation like this doesn't benefit anybody.

AMC as well as Chrysler used the switch all across model lines from 1960 up to at least 1980! Don't believe me? Go to the link below and click on 'Check the fit'. There well over 20 pages of vehicle listings that switch fits.

themechanic

Reaction score
Uh, NO it's not E body only! Posting missinformation like this doesn't benefit anybody.

AMC as well as Chrysler used the switch all across model lines from 1960 up to at least 1980! Don't believe me? Go to the link below and click on 'Check the fit'. There well over 20 pages of vehicle listings that switch fits.

The OP is talking instrument lights. There's a dimmer for them, too.

ted s

Reaction score
he isnt asking about the high beam switch

tonysrt

Reaction score
The bottom line is the E body instrument panel dimmer switch is E body only.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
JS Restorations rebuilds [or used to] E body dimmers switches , jumping the switch is an option , using LED bulbs is also an option but may be too bright requiring a dimmer or added resistance of some sort if the LED will even dim at all .

70chall440

Reaction score
I have resurrected a couple of them, if you take them apart you will see that there is a contact that slides over a ring of wrapped wire (ie rheostat) and typically those wires get tarnished as does the contact. You can clean them in a variety of ways but I use a solution of white vinegar and salt (soak it) and then rinse it in clean water.

Ele115

Reaction score
Do what's posted directly above, or even use a copper scouring pad from the grocery store. Avoid LED's. Chances are half of them will die out in a week and you'll have to go back in there and start all over again. Keep the Chicoms out of your dash, you'll be a lot happier. Also, you don't really need 600,000 CP dash lights anyway

Ele115

Reaction score
I can't remember when's the last time I've seen a Frisbee. Probably about the last time my vote counted

tonysrt

Reaction score
The only good thing about Ebody instrument panel lights is the removal light bar to replace bulbs. The A body lights are almost impossible to change unless you're 10 years old to fit up there.

heminut

Reaction score
The only good thing about Ebody instrument panel lights is the removal light bar to replace bulbs. The A body lights are almost impossible to change unless you're 10 years old to fit up there.
Yup! I had a 64 Chevelle that was like the A bodies, but back then I was only 18 and a lot more flexible. I would hate to have to deal with that now!

Back