• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

voltage to instrument panel lights?

rogue

Reaction score
The only good thing about Ebody instrument panel lights is the removal light bar to replace bulbs. The A body lights are almost impossible to change unless you're 10 years old to fit up there.

I'm assuming you don't mean that the light bar has to be removed to change the bulbs just that you can remove the bulbs without removing the bar or crawling up under the dash right?

@70chall440
i've bypassed for now but i'll see if i can take one apart, clean it and get it functional. Thanks for the suggestion and cleaning solution recommendation... what's the ratio of salt to vinegar?

70chall440

Reaction score
1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. That said, I don't know how exact you have to be. It works very well on anything copper, drop a dirty penny in and watch it. It isn't instant but it does work pretty fast, like a couple of minutes and does not hurt anything else. Make sure to rinse in fresh water though.

themechanic

Reaction score
If still needing assistance I can help. I have been rebuilding these dimmers for 20+ years.

Devin Duke
Wagoner OK
Devin does very good work. He refurbished all the switches on my Coronet.

Devin, I didn't know you were in my home state.

rogue

Reaction score
thanks Devin, i think i'll try to clean one up as suggested and see how that goes... if poorly i'll hit you up.

tonysrt

Reaction score
The other problem with these dimmer switches is that the brass tabs break off causing some of the problems also.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Some info on the dimmer switch that Slotts a.k.a. JS Restorations put out in the past.

Attachments

• E-Body Dimmer Switch 2947713.jpg
    E-Body Dimmer Switch 2947713.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 126

rogue

Reaction score
cool... thanks for the pic... very helpful

Oystercopy

Reaction score
My dash lights went out recently and I decided to pull my switch panel apart and repair my own. I got the entire dimmer assembly apart (luckily, nothing was broken) but there was a whole lot of corrosion in that thing. Got out my Dremel and sanded everything down, then used conductive grease to lube it all up, and VOILA, working dash lights. Now, they actually dim properly without going out, halfway through turning the knob also.

Back