• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What Edelbrock carb to use for a 1970 HP 383-F Magnum 4bbl engine w/mild cam?

70SunFun

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would be the best performance Edelbrock carb for a 1970 HP 383-F Magnum 4bbl engine with a mild cam? I don't race it at the track, I just cruise but want good performance when I get on it. A MOPAR friend suggested an Edelbrock carb, 850 cfm with electric choke. The floats in my current Holley carb stick when the outdoor temperature is hot and the car is parked on an incline. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
My recommendation as usual is none , I will not use Eddy carbs .
put the $$ towards FI instead

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Find a Good AVS carb ,there were many different models unlike Eddy which is 1 size fits all then .

i_taz

Reaction score
Having spent time tuning a 1411 Edelbrock I never felt comfortable with it. Always seemed like it wanted to run rich and difficult starting especially when hot. I started thinking if there was a modern carburetor that could give you performance and economy the spreadbore route is the way to go and there's only 1 carb that fit the bill. None other than the phenom known as the Thermo-quad (yes, you read that right). 15+ yrs of refinement, like the Q-jet cannot be equaled so I rolled the dice and let me tell you something, maybe because it's a factory carb not generic and an original AVS would perform just as well but it has such smoooooth power delivery and starting is a snap and that's with no choke, I really can't believe it....and looks like all get out....!!! Like it was meant to be there...

Attachments

• 0716212258_Film4[1].jpg
    0716212258_Film4[1].jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 279

moparleo

Reaction score
Agree, the Thermo-quad was the pinnacle. Out of production but can be found.
The Holley Street Demon carb is based in the Thermo-quad design.

Attachments

• Carter Thermoquad Application Information.pdf
    566.4 KB · Views: 170

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thanks i_taz and moparleo; much appreciated. Well my wonderful wife secretly talked to my next door neighbor and my Mopar friend for advice on the carb. She surprised me this past Thursday for our 40th wedding anniversary by purchasing an Edelbrock 1411 (square bore) carb that came via Amazon! So I think I'm gonna go with it. I'm having trouble finding the carb adapter plate that will mate it to my Weiand 8008 (dual plane, I think it's square bore) intake manifold. If anyone has any info on this plate I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again, folks.

Last edited:

i_taz

Reaction score
Agree, the Thermo-quad was the pinnacle. Out of production but can be found.
The Holley Street Demon carb is based in the Thermo-quad design.
Not only that but the same guy had a hand in both.... I tried one on for size and there are street kits available. It's actually bigger than a TQ with the electric choke hanging off it but a square bore. If the Thermo-quad didn't work out I probably would've went with that.....

Street Demon: An interview with its designer – Moore Good Ink

Last edited:

i_taz

Reaction score
Thanks i_taz and moparleo; much appreciated. Well my wonderful wife secretly talked to my next door neighbor and my Mopar friend for advice on the carb. She surprised me this past Thursday for our 40th wedding anniversary by purchasing an Edelbrock 1411 (square bore) carb that came via Amazon! So I think I'm gonna go with it. I'm having trouble finding the carb adapter plate that will mate it to my Weiand 8008 (dual plane, I think it's square bore) intake manifold. If anyone has any info on this plate I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again, folks.
Well, 40 yrs has to count for something. There standard issue, most learn to live with them. Out of all the tinkering I did a fuel pressure regulator seemed to clean up the exhaust the most. You can run them less than 3 lbs...

70SunFun

Reaction score

70SunFun

Reaction score
Well, 40 yrs has to count for something. There standard issue, most learn to live with them. Out of all the tinkering I did a fuel pressure regulator seemed to clean up the exhaust the most. You can run them less than 3 lbs...
I'll keep that in mind on the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks again.

Back