• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What kind of setup goes will with an RV Cam?

marklfarkl

Reaction score
Just got myself a 72 Challenger. Any suggestions on how I can get this setup driving better other than swapping out the motor with something bigger?

• 318 small block with RV towing cam (Iskiderian)
  • Stock polished and ported heads.
  • Weand action plus 8007 dual plane intake manifold
  • Edelbrock Performer 1406 carburetor
  • Mopar performance orange electronic ignition
  • JR long tube headers
  • Magnaflow mufflers

moparleo

Reaction score
Your major restriction is the cylinder heads if they were originally 318 heads. Even "ported and polished" A term used very loosely. What is important is what the heads flow. And do they match up with the rest of the set-up. Since this car is obviously not going to be "restored " to o.e. specs, do some research on the different engine builders and what they can offer. Maybe a crate motor package designed for good street power and dependability.

Adam

Reaction score
The short stroke of the 318, 3.31 in. is the same as the high reving 340. To take advantage of the short stroke you need good flowing heads and better than stock valve springs, if your compression is low you can pick up some power by raising it. Edelbrock has open and closed chamber heads, but the aluminum dissipates a lot of heat, some say its like losing a full compression point.

I used the Indy LAX heads on a Power Wagon build, full iron, good stuff. Also with small 62 cc chambers to get the compression up. http://www.indyheads.com/images/laxmax.pdf

I would probably also look for a different cam; nothing too radical, maybe 220-230 degrees..

Lastly, if you have an auto trans, a 2300 or so stall converter and performance valve body will wake it up!

Last edited:

marklfarkl

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! I need to decide if I want to do a head upgrade or go with something completely new. Decisions...decisions....decisions... :eusa_think:

Adam

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise! I need to decide if I want to do a head upgrade or go with something completely new. Decisions...decisions....decisions... :eusa_think:

The 318 will be great at higher rpms, and it is cheap because you already have it. With a head upgrade, you can put the same heads on a 360 short block down the road... Check out http://www.4secondsflat.com/ He races a wickedly fast 318 and has alot of good tech.

On the other hand, my original 340 was long gone and guys want $2000 for a date coded block! still would not be numbers matching. I found a complete 440 for $250 and rebuilt it for about 3 thou.. of course that meant changing the radiator, pulleys, headers, transmission & drive shaft, shifter, etc. Awesome torque, but lots of money to change over.

marklfarkl

Reaction score
The 318 will be great at higher rpms, and it is cheap because you already have it. With a head upgrade, you can put the same heads on a 360 short block down the road... Check out http://www.4secondsflat.com/ He races a wickedly fast 318 and has alot of good tech.

On the other hand, my original 340 was long gone and guys want $2000 for a date coded block! still would not be numbers matching. I found a complete 440 for $250 and rebuilt it for about 3 thou.. of course that meant changing the radiator, pulleys, headers, transmission & drive shaft, shifter, etc. Awesome torque, but lots of money to change over.

Based on my budget it looks like a different set of heads is the way to go. Thanks for the referral!

IQ52

Reaction score
What gear ratio do you have in the rear end?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You mean sure grip not posi. As long as you're in learning mode, we try not to use the term posi on a Mopar site.

js29

Reaction score
And as long as we are in a teaching mode, that thing under the hood that powers our vehicles is an engine. NOT A MOTOR, an internal combustion engine!

marklfarkl

Reaction score
You mean sure grip not posi. As long as you're in learning mode, we try not to use the term posi on a Mopar site.

I had no idea. Found this great video that details sure grip! (skip to 9:06)
[video]https://youtu.be/XMjbUqEGG3U?t=9m8s[/video]
Keep learning more every day.

Last edited:

marklfarkl

Reaction score
And as long as we are in a teaching mode, that thing under the hood that powers our vehicles is an engine. NOT A MOTOR, an internal combustion engine!

:eusa_think:
Department of engine vehicles?
Engine trend magazine?
Ford engine company?
General Engines?
Enpar?
:confused:

Back