• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What the difference

moparleo

Reaction score
Since Chrysler Corp never built such a thing technically. ( The 426 hemi was basically an RB bolck with cross bolted mains and additional material in the deck to accomodate the extra head bolts required to bolt the head wider head down.
There is a company called Stage V Engineering who came out with an excellent conversion for RB and B stock blocks. They have excellent flow and are top quality and now also build a version to bolt straight up to a standard Hemi block. They use stock 426 Hemi components which makes maintenance very easy. They are located in Walnut ,California, Just south of Los Angeles.

al383

Reaction score
Why then on some magazine and car sites they say this is a Hemi Cuda 440

al383

Reaction score
If you google 1971 Hemi Cuda 440 you will see why i question this.

burdar

Reaction score
There is no such thing. When someone has a car or some parts for sale, they sometimes put a bunch of key words together in order to get more visability to their item. IF someone is accually refering to their car as a Hemi 440, then they are misinformed. The only Hemi available in an E-body was the 426.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just remember that non Mopar guys usually have no clue about what they talk about. Mopar is mysterious, one of the reasons they are cool. You will not find errors like that in any Mopar magazine but most other mags are Mopar ignorant because the GM and Ford offer a wider reader potential. There are just more of the other cars. Everybody wants a Mustang or Camaro. They built more Mustangs and Camaros in one year that the Challenger and Barracuda built in their total production run. We are a rare group. Don't go with the crowd.

ramenth

Reaction score
If you google 1971 Hemi Cuda 440 you will see why i question this.

That's because google will place multiple combinations on a search and search for just that one or two key words. If you look at the first page on google most of the search generated says Hemi Cuda 440, bringing up Hemi's and 440's when you go to the page.

The only thing I saw on the front page which combined the two was in gtforums, which, from a quick glance, dealt with a video game. If these guys are so wrapped in a game to have a forum how much do you expect them to truly know about the real cars?

Other than, that, no, there wasn't a factory produced 440 Hemi.

al383

Reaction score
!BUY9+m!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-DkEjlLl0KttBKNTz569Vw~~_12.JPG
this is why i ask

ramenth

Reaction score
^^^ Still not a factory produced car, by what the cover says.

The Hemi available in those years was the 426. The 440 is a wedge engine.

It's either a typo on the cover and the car is a real 426 Hemi or - as has been mentioned earlier - it's a 440 wearing aftermarket Stage V heads.

But coming from Popular Hot Rodding it could be that the Chevy boys could truly believe that the Hemi was a 440.

al383

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back, I never heard of that car either but when i saw that,I just had to ask people that know MOPARS.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
true , there still are a few problems to address such as oil return to the oil pan as there is no provision in the 440 block & you have to notch the block for pushrod clearance , but they are good heads

Back