• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

whats the easiest cheapest 5 or 6 speed to put into these cars

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I just got a 74 Challenger, I am really wanting to do a 5 or 6 speed while it is stripped down.

I have heard of bolt in kits, also heard that some of the TKO tranny's wouldn't shift well under a hard load.

anyone have any recommendations for doing this?

340challconvert

Reaction score
This may help!
TKO install into a 73 Challenger
http://moparcarparts.com/instructions/tko-500de.pdf
Dino2 (1).gif

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
is there not any people on here with first hand experience.

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I put the TKO in an auto car. Not a bolt in switch like your looking for
I don't mind doing a little tunnel work. Also planning on using hydraulic pedal assemblies. just making sure I use the best options available. Just looking for first hand experience and pointers.

Adam

Reaction score
I did a TKO 5 spd into my 71 Challenger, pretty painless actually, but I started with a 4 spd car, no mods to the tunnel were needed.

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I have heard both ways. some say tunnel needs cut others say it doesn't How do you like the transmission so far? What is your driving style?

crocha617

Reaction score
Passion has a direct bolt in 5 speed. There was a pretty long waiting list at one time. I'm not sure where they're at these days.

Last edited:

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Well I got a quote from SST yesterday and it was $6K Wow, I thought you could get this done for under $4k at one time.

Steve340

Reaction score
A lot of cash for 1 or 2 more gears and it will not stop there. Diff ratio and the engine are also factors to consider.

Avalanche

Reaction score
If you already have a good 4 speed you can look into a gear venders unit, it goes on behind the trans and a shorter drive shaft gets installed. Google gear vender mopar and it pops up.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Done a 5 speed swap several times - Also did a 6 speed swap in my charger.... quite a bit of cash - if it was a 4-speed I would do the Gear Vendors

cdummer43

Reaction score
I did the TKO 600 from silver sport transmission and I sourced all of the parts for install from other vendors. All together was about $4600 for auto to manual trans. A kit from SST was a little more than $6k for complete kit

David B

Reaction score
I just completed a transmission swap from 4 speed pistol grip to TKO-600 5-speed pistol grip. I purchased the kit from American Powertrain. The cross member, speedo cable, backup light harness, and driveshaft were included with the kit. Additional items required are clutch disk w/throw out bearing (different spline count) and bell housing (MOPAR to a Ford adapter) The TKO-600 kit was $4000, clutch disk was $100 and the bell housing was $300 (for 340 small block non-scatter shield) The bell housing for the 340 was not available from American Powertrain so I ordered it from Hurst Driveline Conversions. Info required at time of order: Engine, tire size, rear end ratio, clutch disk diameter, pistol grip shifter or not.
Swap was easy with some minor 2x4/hammer tunnel adjustments. No cutting or welding was required. After instillation the driveshaft measurements (per their diagram was e-mailed back to Am Pwrtrain. 5 days later it arrived and fit perfectly. As of this posting I have put 600 miles on the 5-speed with no issues.

David B

Reaction score
Adam as per AM Pwrtrain the 5-speed is the only xmission that fits without tunnel modification.

booyaballer

Reaction score
i'm also interested in the 5 speed but does anyone have any experience/thoughts on Passon's 4 speed overdrive transmission? the 4speed OD is supposedly more readily available. thanks for any feedback.

Adam

Reaction score
Adam as per AM Pwrtrain the 5-speed is the only xmission that fits without tunnel modification.
Yes, that was my experience. The 5 spd just touched the trans tunnel in one spot, on the front passenger side; I stuck a pry bar and block of wood up there and easily pushed the spot out a little.

Back