• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

wheel center bore to hub clearance?

volcanocar

Reaction score
in the picture you will see the front spindle/hub from my cuda. the question is how much tolerance is there suppose to be between the center bore of a wheel and the hub? when the wheel is resting on the lugs this is what you see, about a 3/8" gap. I was always under the impression that the fit should be a little tighter than that since the hub is suppose to take the weight of the wheels not the lugs. am I just being paranoid or do have legitimately incompatible parts here?

20160224_154534.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
I agree, does not look right to me. What kind of wheel is that?

moparleo

Reaction score

volcanocar

Reaction score
They are aero race wheels, cragar makes one almost identical but didn't have varieties in size. So leo if I were using standard acorn style lugs you think it would be ok?

ramenth

Reaction score
Guys. Back I the day passenger car wheels didn't center on the hubs like they do today. The only wheels back then that used the center register of the wheel hub hole to match the hub holes were/still are commercial trucks. Now you can try to use hub centering rings. Here is a small article.
How Hub Centric Rings Work - Free Shipping on orders over $24 at JustForWheels.com

That is, until the industry figured out that the hub played a vital role in supporting the weight of the car. One of the reasons it's so vital to make sure the lugs are properly torqued on Magnum 500's as there's no hub support. Now, every car is engineered to be hubcentric and has been for decades.

But Leo's right. If you're going to use those wheels you're going to want to going to want a ring to fill that gap. Don't rely on the lugs alone.

Back