• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

When Will You Know You Need To Give-up Your Pride and Joy?

wedg2go

Reaction score
Yes! I know, it's been a long time since I was last on FEBO. So, belated Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day, (Happy Birthday to Me), Happy Valentine's Day, Happy President's Day, Remember to Spring Forward, Happy St Patrick's Day and April Fools. Whew!

Now on to the crux of this thread - When will you know?

For the last six months I have been "Wrenching" and "Re-Wrenching" my carburetion and upper fuel line on my 440. Currently, a very sore subject with me. Each wrench session, I would stop and ponder "When?" Now I am going to let the kitty out of the bag and say, "I am no proverbial spring chicken!" However, my whole dang life was to finally own the "Car of my dreams" that I purchsed almost three years ago. The only problem I didn't give a whole lot of thought to, during that purchase, was driveline - going mild small block with auto vs. what I bought being a heavily modified 440 with a four speed. My sole purpose with any E-Body was to do car shows with a little gearhead romp now and then.

Speaking of romps and going back to the wrenching, I was able to test drive yesterday (re-jetting the carbs after solving the made in chyna crap leaky fuel lines), found a quiet stretch of hwy-way and laid into 'er! After I backed off, the first question came to mind, "When?" BTW - I left my heart and four distinctive scratch marks on 285. WOW! She never gave me a thrill like that before! Whew! I just don't believe I will be able to do that, with this muscle car, at the old age of ???

So, "When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?" See I am afraid I will be so gearheadiness to never let go and do something to harm a potential investment and a huge part of history. I would feel bad. knowing I went too far and threw that all away by wrecking it. I mean, I have seen old dufs that shouldn't be driving at all, but still get behind the wheel of their daily beater. Add to this, some of my acquaintances in AZ, have suffered knee replacements, heart attacks and strokes and yet still go out and jump on that throttle. Gearheadiness!

So, I am approaching this by asking you the crucial question, "When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?"

Gearheadiness Definition - having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something. Unreasonably determination.

seneca

Reaction score
Do not give it up. You gotta be buried in something, right? Have you seen the price of caskets lately? I'm taking the Cuda with me when I go; sitting behind the wheel and lower me into the hole.

Wonder Woman

Reaction score
I keep mine on a shelf.

pride_joy.jpg

440rush

Reaction score
Keep if you can. You will regret selling so soon. BTW now may not be a good time to sell.

budascuda

Reaction score
When you told us about your illness last year and how you were living on a prayer, AND we didn't hear from you, I thought you had checked out already.
Anyway,
"When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?"

if your mouth is open when you drive, you are too old and should sell any vehicle which you might consider your pride and joy,
If you look at your pride and joy and you wonder how much you can get for it, you should sell your pride and joy.
(Woody did that in indecent proposal, with Robert Redford and Demi Moore) and we know the ending.....
If you got bad news from your doctor, ditto
If the bank account is running low,
If there is a divorce in sight,
If you think for2 is a car ,
And.... If you spent six months working on a carb, well ditto to that as well.

I hope my use of "ditto" was correct.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
When you told us about your illness last year and how you were living on a prayer, AND we didn't hear from you, I thought you had checked out already.
Anyway,
"When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?"

if your mouth is open when you drive, you are too old and should sell any vehicle which you might consider your pride and joy,
If you look at your pride and joy and you wonder how much you can get for it, you should sell your pride and joy.
(Woody did that in indecent proposal, with Robert Redford and Demi Moore) and we know the ending.....
If you got bad news from your doctor, ditto
If the bank account is running low,
If there is a divorce in sight,
If you think for2 is a car ,
And.... If you spent six months working on a carb, well ditto to that as well.

I hope my use of "ditto" was correct.
Don’t forget to say how glad you are that he’s still with us.:lol:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes! I know, it's been a long time since I was last on FEBO. So, belated Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day, (Happy Birthday to Me), Happy Valentine's Day, Happy President's Day, Remember to Spring Forward, Happy St Patrick's Day and April Fools. Whew!

Now on to the crux of this thread - When will you know?

For the last six months I have been "Wrenching" and "Re-Wrenching" my carburetion and upper fuel line on my 440. Currently, a very sore subject with me. Each wrench session, I would stop and ponder "When?" Now I am going to let the kitty out of the bag and say, "I am no proverbial spring chicken!" However, my whole dang life was to finally own the "Car of my dreams" that I purchsed almost three years ago. The only problem I didn't give a whole lot of thought to, during that purchase, was driveline - going mild small block with auto vs. what I bought being a heavily modified 440 with a four speed. My sole purpose with any E-Body was to do car shows with a little gearhead romp now and then.

Speaking of romps and going back to the wrenching, I was able to test drive yesterday (re-jetting the carbs after solving the made in chyna crap leaky fuel lines), found a quiet stretch of hwy-way and laid into 'er! After I backed off, the first question came to mind, "When?" BTW - I left my heart and four distinctive scratch marks on 285. WOW! She never gave me a thrill like that before! Whew! I just don't believe I will be able to do that, with this muscle car, at the old age of ???

So, "When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?" See I am afraid I will be so gearheadiness to never let go and do something to harm a potential investment and a huge part of history. I would feel bad. knowing I went too far and threw that all away by wrecking it. I mean, I have seen old dufs that shouldn't be driving at all, but still get behind the wheel of their daily beater. Add to this, some of my acquaintances in AZ, have suffered knee replacements, heart attacks and strokes and yet still go out and jump on that throttle. Gearheadiness!

So, I am approaching this by asking you the crucial question, "When will you know you need to give-up your pride and joy?"

Gearheadiness Definition - having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something. Unreasonably determination.
Sounds like you need an Imperial....

moparlee

Reaction score
Yep, that is a tough situation. Sounds like you would be much happier if you had a ride that you could drive and enjoy and not have to wrench on all the time.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey Wedg2go,
I am really glad that you are still with us. We would miss your wit.
I hope we all get out of this one with only scratch or bruises.
And Matt is right, maybe an Imperial is the wedg2go!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Have a '71 Imperial and '70 Challenger vert. Rarely drive the Imperial, but I'm only 64.
I’m 50 and drive the wheels off of my ‘67 Imperial while my ‘71 Challenger convertible stays parked most of the time. There are several reasons why I don’t put a lot of miles on the vert but I do prefer driving the Imperial.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Prayer Works!

The reason I asked really relates to the way I look at life. Foresight and not really in terms of one or two years down the road. I look at it more in terms of five to ten, or even beyond that, years down the road. I guess, too, based on a recent bit of news I received about a friend helped pushed thought to words. He didn't plan and much like what his wife is going to experience, I wouldn't expect my wife to muddle with the sale of my toys. This would be too much for her to deal with and it would be my wish to sell this machine to a 100% bonafide gearhead when the time comes (If I can accept when the time comes). In other words, I am doing my best not be selfish and trying to establish foresight (Planning).

Lot of good suggestion here and has given me, "Pause to thought." Thanks for that!

I have considered taking it with me to be buried in. My right hand griping the pistol grip, my left hand on the wheel with a huge grin wired on my mouth and eyes bugged out. Wife won't let me...Said, "Cremation is cheaper." Sometimes that woman burns me up! j/k'g.

As far as having a more laid back ride...I have one! Can't mention it here since it is another brand.

BTW - LOL! I have found, small mountain town living to be the cat's meow, but, when it's is time to find something simple as, "Jets for a Holley", expect to order said parts. There's a week chewed upped right there. Tear into Holleys and discover replacement jets too small. Reorder after studying where everyone else has theirs jetted. Take into consideration altitude and staggered jetting - which goes against my beliefs - re-order. A week later, order comes in, pull carbs, tear new insulated base gasket. New order. Week later, order comes in, carbs are ready to install and discover idle mixture screw stripped, by the hands of someone else, in the first of three carbs. Order new throttle base. Two weeks later, throttle base comes in, install and discover new throttle base rOcKs on the intake. Disgust sets in. Words, you have never used, leave your lips. Research, for a carb builder, to take your old throttle base and repair stripped throttle base. Find one, mail it off and find it ready togo in your mailbox five weeks later. Install throttle base, install carb and replace upper fuel line. Turn it over, a few light turns, get out and discover fuel line leaking like a sieve. Do every possible trick, in the book to stop the leak. Unsuccessful. Pull fuel line and discover elongated flair from over tighten efforts. Find new beautiful stainless steel fuel line. Order only to have it back ordered. Six weeks later and with much suspicion, install. Discover leaks. Do every possible trick, in the book to stop the leak. Order new fuel inlets. A week later, same results. Order new fuel line from another source. A week later, install and discover...Yup...leak city. Disgusted! Let car sit for two to three weeks. Read everything about said problem and find nothing works. Let car sit another week. Pull all carbs, set fuel lines into fuel inlets and pull threaded pieces back and forth and discover enough slop to know...know without doubt, that something is not right here. Place a phone call to a very good Mopar Aficionado and good friend in AZ. Ask why? Go through the ABCs of imported parts (Upper fuel line) and then be told the secret to success. Twenty five weeks later. Just the biggest streak of misfortune anyone should ever have. One thing for sure, it taught me patience. In the end it really paid off.

Oh!

If I had my choice, my ride would be fuel injected, simply because of the altitude. But, swmbo controls the purse strings. Good thing too. Especially now!

ldr

Reaction score
Your not there yet ,or you wouldn't be asking !

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
BTW - LOL! I have found, small mountain town living to be the cat's meow, but, when it's is time to find something simple as, "Jets for a Holley", expect to order said parts. There's a week chewed upped right there. Tear into Holleys and discover replacement jets too small. Reorder after studying where everyone else has theirs jetted. Take into consideration altitude and staggered jetting - which goes against my beliefs - re-order. A week later, order comes in, pull carbs, tear new insulated base gasket. New order. Week later, order comes in, carbs are ready to install and discover idle mixture screw stripped, by the hands of someone else, in the first of three carbs. Order new throttle base. Two weeks later, throttle base comes in, install and discover new throttle base rOcKs on the intake. Disgust sets in. Words, you have never used, leave your lips. Research, for a carb builder, to take your old throttle base and repair stripped throttle base. Find one, mail it off and find it ready togo in your mailbox five weeks later. Install throttle base, install carb and replace upper fuel line. Turn it over, a few light turns, get out and discover fuel line leaking like a sieve. Do every possible trick, in the book to stop the leak. Unsuccessful. Pull fuel line and discover elongated flair from over tighten efforts. Find new beautiful stainless steel fuel line. Order only to have it back ordered. Six weeks later and with much suspicion, install. Discover leaks. Do every possible trick, in the book to stop the leak. Order new fuel inlets. A week later, same results. Order new fuel line from another source. A week later, install and discover...Yup...leak city. Disgusted! Let car sit for two to three weeks. Read everything about said problem and find nothing works. Let car sit another week. Pull all carbs, set fuel lines into fuel inlets and pull threaded pieces back and forth and discover enough slop to know...know without doubt, that something is not right here. Place a phone call to a very good Mopar Aficionado and good friend in AZ. Ask why? Go through the ABCs of imported parts (Upper fuel line) and then be told the secret to success. Twenty five weeks later. Just the biggest streak of misfortune anyone should ever have. One thing for sure, it taught me patience. In the end it really paid off.Oh!
If I had my choice, my ride would be fuel injected, simply because of the altitude. But, swmbo controls the purse strings. Good thing too. Especially now!

I know your pain. I'm going through very similar issues with my 64 lincoln continental carb and fuel system. It takes weeks and weeks to get parts and again and again. Waiting on a fuel pump now. That's the main issue with living in a small town my friend.
so have you gotten your fuel leakage problem solved?

wedg2go

Reaction score
I know your pain. I'm going through very similar issues with my 64 lincoln continental carb and fuel system. It takes weeks and weeks to get parts and again and again. Waiting on a fuel pump now. That's the main issue with living in a small town my friend.
so have you gotten your fuel leakage problem solved?

Lately, it has become really interesting to count the days when a delivery arrives with all this virus fiasco.

The fuel leakage is completely solved. Just need to do some minor clean-up today and on to the next project. Thanks for asking!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well I am glad you are still with us & Yes Prayer does work !
Yes delivery times & costs can really take the fun out of fixing cars & low quality parts are not cool either , 50 year old cars are not easy to rebuild luckily there is a lot of support for these car unlike so many others , often just asking advice about where to get parts can eliminate a lot of pain , I try to deal with Dave @ Roseville Moparts , they also restore cars & know what is good quality .
Stay safe & have fun !

Wonder Woman

Reaction score
I'm not seeing a problem here with delivery.
I shipped a box USPS Wednesday in state but still only took a day.
I purchased an original steering wheel to replace the mini wheel on the Valiant my friend bought recently.
Two days later also USPS from Atlanta to Philadelphia.
Now if he can just get the Maryland State police to release the car back to him, but that's another story.

Back