• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Where is my original 340 air cleaner?? Please help

Scotts

Reaction score
Good Morning. I am new to the E-body forum. My 70 340 4 speed Cuda should be delivered next week some time. I bought it on Ebay and I believe I have been taken for a ride and looking for advise how to move foward with this. The seller took pictures as the car was being picked up by Horseless Carriage. He took a picture of under the hood and the original 1970 340 air cleaner was replaced with another style air cleaner. The auction pictured the original. He tapped danced and said he would make it right, however has stopped communications. I am getting real paranoid that he also lied about the matching number etc. If he stole the original air cleaner what else is this guy capable of. Any advise would help as I do not want to makes any mistakes. I have a few days left to put in a claim and will fight to return the car if that is the best option. Again, any advise that would help would be appreciated! thanks and look foward t being part of the forum. Scott

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Does/Can Horseless Carriage take requested photos for you prior to loading up the vehicle as it seems you can't trust the seller? If you haven't already in your communication with this person, I would tell them you will have the car returned and not pay if this is not resolved immediately, along with all new photos (assuming this is within your rights in this type of transaction). And be prepared to follow through if this person does not reply. I assume you paid a big chunk of change for a numbers matching 1970 4 speed Cuda, so you should get what you expect. I would also contact E-Bay and let them know of the situation. I too would be really concerned that this person did the old switcherro on a number of other big dollar OEM parts! Well, that's my opinion, good luck - I hope what ever happens, happens in your favor.

Scotts

Reaction score
the seller admits to the changing out the air cleaner. He says he will mail it to me. However, will he? what other problems will I have. Car has been paid in full. I will seek legal advise on Tuesday...

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The law or Ebay will not get involved until you receive the car and can prove what has happened. As far as authorities are concerned you are caught in a He said - She said situation. Once you get the car and have provable harm go to Ebay first, to stop the guy from doing this to anyone else, and work your way out from there. It is always easier to settle things out of court if possible. Talk to the attorney and Tues. and see what he/she says. When you get the car, post some pics. It sounds like a nice car.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Well, if you have to wait till you receive the car, then you need to take all the photos as it rolls off the truck. If it's only the air cleaner issue - cool, hopefully the seller makes good on the promise. If the amount of dollars is under the small claims court amount required (I think $10k now - verify) and he hosed you, this may be better than getting an attorney involved (the attorney will always win, and you and the seller will both lose). Since you didn't pick up the vehicle in person, I assume you are many states away from this sellers location and would then need to travel to the sellers state, if you go the "attorney/small claims" route. Let us know the condition of the car when you get it. Again, best of luck!

Scotts

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your help. Hopefully all goes well. I will keep my fingers crossed. I will post pics when I receive the Cuda. Thanks again!

74 challenger

Reaction score
please dont tell me the car is purple,were you dealing with a guy who travels around and thats why he is selling it to put a down payment on a house?call ebay to make sure the deal is real.my friend got beat on big money on a car in california going threw ebay.ebay has had a lot of problems to many scams for me. good luck and call ebay and complain

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I hope all works out for you. That would be very hard for me to buy a car sight unseen from EBay, you never know who you're dealing with and what they are capable of. Does the sellers feedback account show a good track record? If you end up needing one of those air cleaners I do have a couple of extra ones that need restored but are in decent shape, just let me know.
And of course, keep us posted.

Scotts

Reaction score
I guess I was a little naive. I have a hard time believing someone would do something like that when we have been talking and making the deal over the phone on the buy it now price. Thanks for the air cleaner offer! Hope I don't have to take you up on that... Thanks again!

Scotts

Reaction score
Well I received the Cuda everyone. Lots of little stuff that was not disclosed, however the car is matching numbers. I believe the air cleaner is on its way, but not without a lot of work and time. Ebay would do nothing about the air cleaner because the car was over 10 years old. So keep this in mind on your next ebay vehicle purchase. The only reason I maybe getting my air cleaner is that Ebay will do something about a third party title and of course that is what was sent to me. Is there a way to post a picture without a URL? Thanks

Back