• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which Differential is this?

Ship Rider

Reaction score
Thanks, I do have the 8 3/4. I am not sure if this is the Dana type or Borg Warner. Just do not know enough about the differences.

burdar

Reaction score
The Dana rear axle has a cover on the back. The 8 3/4 rear axle is like the Ford 9"...the entire center section unbolts from the housing. The 489 case is correct for an E-body. It will have a cone type sure-grip. The sure-grip assembly can be rebuilt but it requires machining of the cones and possibly adding more internal springs. The earlier style sure-grips are thought to be a better set-up since they use replaceable clutches.

I don't know what complete center sections are going for now but, I bought a complete 3.23 setup with working sure-grip about 10 years ago for $300.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Thanks, I do have the 8 3/4. I am not sure if this is the Dana type or Borg Warner. Just do not know enough about the differences.
Are you refering to the sure grip unit or the rear? The sure grip is the cone type that is not rebuildable. The advantage to this center section is that is has the largest pinion stem at 1 7/8 inch.

Moparparts

Reaction score
Many e-bodies with 318 and 6 cyl engines and 8 3/4 rear from the factory also came with 741 Carriers the 489 was mostly put in the performance models or an ordered car with HD suspension

moparleo

Reaction score
The pinion is also tapered on the 489. If this is for show, go with it, If this is for real, have the pumpkin checked out by a reputable differential rebuilder for any possible damage, or abuse. You don't get a fair assesment of the condition after somebody disassembles something and/or cleans it before you get to look at it. Also, by the numbers this is original to 1970. Alot of time and possible mileage. The cone type is not rebuildable ( properly). Stay away from anyone who recommends that. We use to call that type of work to be ( a famous Walt Disney charactor)
I would resell it and spend my hard earned money on quality, even if you have to save up more money, Just an opinion.

Ship Rider

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I am going to go with a new diff from Dr Diff. A bit pricy but new with modern technology. Also going with the 1350 yokes, I believe that is what he said.

Back