• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

windshield wipers on all the time

michael bucklew

Reaction score
putting the controls back together--windshield wiper stays on, no response with the switch. there are 7 wires on the switch. plugs match to connectors.....I have a color coded wiring diagram and it does not show a 7 wire switch. this is also a new rally dash harness. 2 wire plug is---is a red green plug.....4 wire plug is blue, white/black--hot, red and brown or violet hard to tell...1 more lug is a light pink. ps. new dash pad is a success

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Run a ground from the metal switch retaining plate to the dash frame and check the ground strap on the wiper motor. Grounds are notorious on these older cars sometimes. Might be the fix. Hopefully cause it's an easy one.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Run a ground from the metal switch retaining plate to the dash frame and check the ground strap on the wiper motor. Grounds are notorious on these older cars sometimes. Might be the fix. Hopefully cause it's an easy one.
will

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Worth a shot if it's a quick fix. Mine wouldn't retract or park all the way. The ground fixed it so hopefully it will help yours.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!!! thanks ------next problems. have 5 gals in gas tank. no reading at gauge--rally dash--another ground problem?????????? also have a light for the a/c buttons--yellow wire. where would it hook up to. nothing in my diagrams......thanks for your help

mrmopar340

Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!!! thanks ------next problems. have 5 gals in gas tank. no reading at gauge--rally dash--another ground problem?????????? also have a light for the a/c buttons--yellow wire. where would it hook up to. nothing in my diagrams......thanks for your help
Ground strap bridges the rubber between the tank and the hard line going to the front ot the car. Very small peice like a peice of aluminum or some other some metal. Check that and see if it is on thereor loose. Not sure on the a/c wire. I would run a jumper for that off another light that comes on when you turn your lights on. You can probe the back of the switch with a test light to see which one is hot with the switch on for a jumper.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Ground strap bridges the rubber between the tank and the hard line going to the front ot the car. Very small peice like a peice of aluminum or some other some metal. Check that and see if it is on thereor loose. Not sure on the a/c wire. I would run a jumper for that off another light that comes on when you turn your lights on. You can probe the back of the switch with a test light to see which one is hot with the switch on for a jumper.
20220511_103420.jpg
This is the ground strap.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Bear in mind there’s 2 lengths. Vans Auto sells both, 3 3/4 for $8.50 and 7 1/2 for $11.00. Check the length of your rubber hose coupler to make sure you get the correct length one.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
made ground wire--clamped to tube and screwed to heat shield screw--also sanded to bare metal for good ground--NOTHING--still not working back side of dash in wire jungle-- wire diagram Shows gas gauge has a blue and black[single wire] to it. But, stamped into the metal is DBL-----wire diagram shows single black to gauge. that black turns into a DBL on the temp gauge and oil gauge. does it matter which side the blue wire is on--nothing stamped on metal----other gauges have color stamped into metal....suggestions. Michael

michael bucklew

Reaction score
made ground wire--clamped to tube and screwed to heat shield screw--also sanded to bare metal for good ground--NOTHING--still not working back side of dash in wire jungle-- wire diagram Shows gas gauge has a blue and black[single wire] to it. But, stamped into the metal is DBL-----wire diagram shows single black to gauge. that black turns into a DBL on the temp gauge and oil gauge. does it matter which side the blue wire is on--nothing stamped on metal----other gauges have color stamped into metal....suggestions. Michael

EW1BH27

Reaction score
To check the wiring and the actual gauge pull off the blue wire at the sending unit and ground it somewhere. Then turn the ignition key to ACC (or ON, but not start). The gauge's needle should peg to full. BUT, don't leave the key in the ACC (or ON) position for long, only long enough to see the needle move. Otherwise you could damage things.
I always suggest what's in the above quote

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Ground wire should go from sending unit to fuel line going forward. If you grounded to the heat shield that is grounding to a different point. Sending unit tube to fuel line on other side of the rubber hose. A shot in the dark but see if that is the issue. The ground should go that way I would think. Just don't get frustrated. It's a learning game on these cars and the trouble is well worth having them in your hands.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Ground wire should go from sending unit to fuel line going forward. If you grounded to the heat shield that is grounding to a different point. Sending unit tube to fuel line on other side of the rubber hose. A shot in the dark but see if that is the issue. The ground should go that way I would think. Just don't get frustrated. It's a learning game on these cars and the trouble is well worth having them in your hands.
it's worth a try

Back